Harris/Lewis west coast DWS?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Last 16 Mar 2024

Hi UKC.

I'll be travelling up the west coast of Harris and Lewis for a few days in April and might have an hour or two to spare in that time.

Just wondering if there is any sub 6c ish mellow DWS to be had on that coast that isn't too much of a mission? Not really after massive involved and terryfing adventures, more easy traverses etc if anything exists.

I've never been before so I have no idea whether there's nothing or acres of the stuff. My feeling is that there is probably loads but all a bit involved? 

I appreciate it'll be cold but am fairly used to cold water exposure so all good. 

Appreciate any suggestions of good spots.

Cheers,

Tom

Matt Podd 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Tom Last:

Are you taking the pish? Freezing, rough and no one else around?

OP Tom Last 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Tom Last:

I'd imagine as with most coasts, there's some sheltered spots, albeit that it's all facing north west I appreciate. 

Not taking the piss no and as I said I'm used to swimming in cold water. Probably no need to elaborate but regularly year round in Cornwall which is also quite cold, can be extremely (but not always) rough and doesn't always have many people around. 

Anyway, as I say, just after some mellow sea level traversing really. 

Matt Podd 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Tom Last:

I don't think you get it, but we'll wait to see what others say.

OP Tom Last 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Matt Podd:

Great, very useful, thanks.

Is this like a Donald Rumsfeld known/unknown unknowns thing?

henwardian 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Tom Last:

I think there's plenty of DWS potential for easy traverses at places like Screaming Geo. And I'd guess a load of the other geos have potential too (though I really haven't looked at them with that specifically in mind).

However there is absolutely nothing mellow about these places. I've climbed in various places in Cornwall and the Outer Hebrides and they are not comparable in terms of weather, swell, sea temperature or anything much else besides beauty honestly.

I think you'd be better off forgoing the whole water aspect and just doing some straight up soloing - at least that way your hazards are limited to bad rock or slipping off and you don't have to worry about an unusually large swell whisking you away to Davy Jones locker.

Edit: But if you are really determined, ask Julian Lines, he's done more DWS on the NW coast of Scotland than anyone else afaik.

Post edited at 23:22
 Robert Durran 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Tom Last:

For some mellow soloing at modest grades on immaculate rock you probably couldn't do better than the Folded Wall at Bhragair. Short abseil approach though.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/aird_mhor_bhragair-10836/#folded_w...

Wicamoi 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Tom Last:

It wouldn't be for me, but unlike others (and having checked your profile) I am willing to believe that you know what you're doing! So.... this might suit:

Uig Sea Cliffs Central - Mhangarstaidh

Good luck with the sea state.

Edit: Glas Eilean at the top of the link.

Post edited at 23:34
OP Tom Last 17 Mar 2024
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback I will look at all those suggestions.

I have been doing a little sleuthing too and reckon there are a few likely looking spots that look sheltered from all but easterlies.

I appreciate that a necessarily brief post on the Internet doesn't easily convey aptitude/ineptitude, x-level of experience or understanding of something etc, so I get that a plan can look rash.

Of course, as with any plan, any solo etc, for most of us on here there are certain conditions to be met beforehand - fools rush in and all that.

Swell fetch/size, wind direction, wave height, tides, rips. Access, egress, temperature, (lack of) company, wetsuit (thickness). Cliff height, windward/lee aspect, route length, angle, difficulty, S-grade, jellyfish. Mood, fitness, degree of fear and ultimately just whether I can be bothered, which these days I often can't! It's a wonder any of ever go climbing really isn't it. 

Thanks again, I'll get steady, if at all.

Tom

petegunn 17 Mar 2024
In reply to Matt Podd:

Maybe it was a bit later in the year but I was surprised how warm the water was off Harris, we even took off our wetsuits it was that warm!

Robert Durran 17 Mar 2024
In reply to petegunn:

> Maybe it was a bit later in the year but I was surprised how warm the water was off Harris, we even took off our wetsuits it was that warm!

In last June's heatwave I was comfortably skinny dipping every day - and I generally feel the cold.

I suspect that east facing walls in sheltered geos might have dodgier rock than westerly ones.

OP Tom Last 17 Mar 2024
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I suspect that east facing walls in sheltered geos might have dodgier rock than westerly ones.

Yeah, there lies the tradeoff of them not being pounded by the sea I guess. 

Matt Podd 17 Mar 2024
In reply to petegunn:

I've swum off Lewis and North Harris without a wetsuit, but not in April. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...