GQ article/Cyborg Climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.facebook.com/730391360339019/posts/2940661075978692/

It seems Sarah Jane was right. 950 dollars for a pullover (late 80s fleece to you and I).

I despair. 

ChrisBrooke 30 Jan 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

$213 for a beanie Megalolz.

Oh well, I'm sure Alex is laughing all the way to the bank for this one. And as he gives a large portion of his income towards charitable work, it's all good.

MischaHY 30 Jan 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Precisely my thoughts! I'm more than happy for Honnlove to swindle cash out of the media and into the hands of his foundation. Plus it makes for hilarious memes! 

henwardian 30 Jan 2020

Thanks for a good laugh. Best bit for me wasn't the prices, it was how hilarious all that clothing looks. 

In reply to henwardian:

Just remember, once upon a time lycra was cool. 

Arms Cliff 30 Jan 2020

https://www.gq.com/story/alex-honnold-great-indoors 

direct link to the GQ article to save people having to go through facebook. 

In between the usual GQ ridiculous outfitting and the usual mainstream climbing article tropes, there’s some decent stuff in there from Honnold and others. 

peppermill 30 Jan 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Yes I really hope it's some kind of modern day Robin Hood routine. Pose for a few shots, wear some hideous clothes, give loads of the money away and carry on being the pikey dirtbag climber we all love ;p

Blue Straggler 30 Jan 2020

I love how Alex's facial expression in every shot seems to be a mixture of aghast/appalled, ashamed/embarrassed, and acknowledgement that he is complicit  

I'd like to see how the 3500 dollar watch he is wearing in every picture looks after he has worn it on a trip up El cap

Sean Kelly 30 Jan 2020

> Just remember, once upon a time lycra was cool. 

It still is at this time of year!

Tom Valentine 30 Jan 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

He should take a few more lessons from his mate Bear.

Not really meant as an Alex Honnold bashing thread, he is just doing his job

I am more aghast that someone would pay that amount for a fleece, or a pair of trousers. The top end expensive rock shoes look a bargain in comparison. 

I worry that the top chargers in the outdoor business see this and start rubbing their hands and the rest follow suit. Watch the prices of Arc-jott-gonia gear rocket to catch up. 

Robert Durran 30 Jan 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet

> I worry that the top chargers in the outdoor business see this and start rubbing their hands and the rest follow suit. Watch the prices of Arc-jott-gonia gear rocket to catch up. 

But aren't these clothes pure fashion ware and nothing to do with the actual outdoor market?

In reply to Robert Durran:

Capitalism is capitalism, charge what the customer is prepared to pay. 

Wiley Coyote2 30 Jan 2020

I wouldn't worry too much about the clothes or the prices in GQ if I were you. It's a world all of its own

smithg 30 Jan 2020

Very disappointed with GQ. They've clearly lost their bottle and ditched the vacuous groupies.

https://thedyrt.com/magazine/lifestyle/week-gq-published-sexist-climbing-pi...

(from 2016, a more carefree, innocent time)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...