Gary Gibson - at it Again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 31 Aug 2020

Sounds like Gary is back to some form of heath, which is great, and has a big bag of bolts (300) and double krab lower-offs which he intends to use to re-equip Harpur Hill Lower Tier.

Donations via his website - http://www.sportsclimbs.co.uk/?LMCL=FcF0r7

or via the Bolt Fund for general donations - https://ukboltfund.org/

If you clip bolts in the UK - (and who doesn't?) - please consider chipping in,

Chris

In reply to Chris Craggs:

Can anyone explain how this works please? 

If I make a donation to ukboltfund, is it divided equally amongst the parishes? pro rata depending on number of routes in an area? By demand? 

Does ukboltfund as an umbrella organisation take a cut from local bolt funds?

Two of the parishes are not in the UK, again how does this work? If I donate to UK, does some of my donation go to Greece and Spain. I can't see Nigel porridge being happy with that 😁

I couldn't find anything obvious in the website describing this. Before making a donation outside of a locality, I would like to know. 

Great work Gary, keep it up, glad to hear you are well. 

OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 31 Aug 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Well if you choose GG's site it goes to him. On the UK Boltfund page you choose who/where you want to support - they are all listed there - including Gary again.

I'm pretty sure 100% of funds donated go directly to the people involved.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Post edited at 11:50

Thanks, it was all a bit confusing. 

TobyA 31 Aug 2020

I've clipped loads of Gary's (and other Peak developers') bolts this summer so have chipped in. Of course now I have to resist the temptation of asking for them to be a bit closer together on certain routes!

HeMa 31 Aug 2020
In reply to TobyA:

oh come on Toby...

you've climbed some of those early 80s and 90s "sport" routes in Finland, like the original Heroes in Heaven (5c), with only one bolt (between the current 2nd and 3rd bolt).

So "somewhat" spaced bolting should not be anything new to ya .

> Does ukboltfund as an umbrella organisation take a cut from local bolt funds?

UKBoltFund.org is not actually a fund. It is currently just a listing page for the various bolt funds. We like to use it on occasions like this to spread the word that all these separate funds exist. It takes no money from anywhere it just directs people to the right place where the various PayPal funds are.

It is part of the UKC/Rockfax stable. We set it up about 6 or 7 years ago.

Alan

In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thanks Alan, I got the wrong end of the stick. 

Gary Gibson 01 Sep 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Most of the routes I have rebooted, I have added ore bolts to but sometimes you can’t expect to be overdone. Interestingly, the lower offs were donated to me from Dan Bradley at the Unit in Derby but I still had to spend over £100 on bolts and I just purchased over 150 from Bolt Products and if you want to see there cost, take a look at their website and that excludes glue...around £10 a tube, drill bits, drills...I have two at a cost of over £500. I just do my best and I am sorry if it doesn’t meet some expectations. And wonder who will do it when I’ve finished as it’s an arduous and extremely tiring effort.

Gary Gibson 01 Sep 2020
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks Toby

In reply to Gary Gibson:

Keep up the good work Gary.

Cobra_Head 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

> Most of the routes I have rebooted, I have added ore bolts to but sometimes you can’t expect to be overdone. Interestingly, the lower offs were donated to me from Dan Bradley at the Unit in Derby but I still had to spend over £100 on bolts and I just purchased over 150 from Bolt Products and if you want to see there cost, take a look at their website and that excludes glue...around £10 a tube, drill bits, drills...I have two at a cost of over £500. I just do my best and I am sorry if it doesn’t meet some expectations. And wonder who will do it when I’ve finished as it’s an arduous and extremely tiring effort.

Why don't you sell "first accents", people could pay you to climb a route first after it's been bolted, they could have their name forever dedicated to the route and pay for equipping it.

Sherlock 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Would a Scottish accent cost the same as a Yorkshire one?

I notice Gary's web site is up and running and being added to again. Looks like it might have changed management? Anyone know if someone else has taken this on?

Alan

Cobra_Head 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Sherlock:

'appen it might.

Bloody auto correct Worse still too late to edit, ha ha.

Post edited at 12:50
 BrendanO 07 Sep 2020

Anything that displeases Nigel Frogmouth is a winner...

Monkeydoo 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

I'll volunteer 👍 ive not got a fancy drill and only 2 batteries though !! 

I'm sure you use plenty more than that in  day ! ?  

Excellent work and glad your well 

Gary Gibson 07 Sep 2020

It hasn’t changed hands to my knowledge but I can’t afford to pay the required amount it costs to renew every year  but any new routes will be added as and when I do them!

In reply to Gary Gibson:

> It hasn’t changed hands to my knowledge but I can’t afford to pay the required amount it costs to renew every year but any new routes will be added as and when I do them!

Hi Gary.

That's good news that you have got it going again. I like the new look on Bend Tor and Dale Quarry pages.

Alan

bpmclimb 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> Why don't you sell "first accents", people could pay you to climb a route first after it's been bolted, they could have their name forever dedicated to the route and pay for equipping it.

IMO, we need to preserve a clear difference between route maintenance and new-routing: the former draws on bolt funds and is about making routes safer or making them work better; the latter is undertaken for its own sake and personally funded by the new-routers themselves. 

Cobra_Head 08 Sep 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

> IMO, we need to preserve a clear difference between route maintenance and new-routing: the former draws on bolt funds and is about making routes safer or making them work better; the latter is undertaken for its own sake and personally funded by the new-routers themselves. 

Good thinking.

Gary Gibson 08 Sep 2020

It’s a little complicated for me at the moment. After my stroke I continually tired and needs lots of rest. I hope to get it all sorted soon but I am reliant on others to help me but here’s hoping?

Gary Gibson 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

That’s way too complicated and puts too much reliance on the person cleaning and bolting the line who then gets nothing out of it themselves...I assume you have cleaned and bolted routes yourself ? The stresses and effort and cost is bad enough...I reckon I’ve spent near on £80,000 to £100,00  myself coupled with many..and I mean many, very close shaves with my life coupled with the horrendous consequences of cleaning, like dirt, fatigue and many other things.  It really is not that simple and would require very complex communication processes and two bolt funds etc. I know what needs regearing, trust me on that and in many cases I would just prefer people to trust me knowledge and experience in what I am doing and help me out money wise. Thanks anyway 

jon 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

> It’s a little complicated for me at the moment. After my stroke I continually tired and needs lots of rest. I hope to get it all sorted soon but I am reliant on others to help me but here’s hoping?

You be careful on that rope, Gary...

Gary Gibson 09 Sep 2020
In reply to jon:

I will be Jon, my wife is now my health and safety officer!

Post edited at 09:20
 Cobra_Head 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

>...I assume you have cleaned and bolted routes yourself ?

No, I have no idea what's involved or how you do it. Which was one of the reasons I posted

> The stresses and effort and cost is bad enough...I reckon I’ve spent near on £80,000 to £100,00  myself coupled with many..and I mean many, very close shaves with my life coupled with the horrendous consequences of cleaning, like dirt, fatigue and many other things.

Fair enough, but you obviously like it too.

It really is not that simple and would require very complex communication processes and two bolt funds etc. I know what needs regearing, trust me on that and in many cases I would just prefer people to trust me knowledge and experience in what I am doing and help me out money wise. Thanks anyway 

> Cheers, thanks for what you do, I've climbed and contributed, but not been involved in bolting. Maybe getting more people involved might increase their understanding , and the contributions.

Anyhow it was just a thought.

Gary Gibson 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Fair enough and you are welcome, as is anyone, to join me!

Gary Gibson 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Monkeydoo:

I’ve got three drills and seven batteries in total! It’s a very heavy rucksack including the tge gear...a good 50kg, hence the size of arms and legs!,,😂

Gary Gibson 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:apart from having to pay the annual fees, it appears that it should get updates...new routes...and new cliffs soo?

jon 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

> I will be Jon, my wife is now my health and safety officer!

Now that's an unenviable task!

Gary Gibson 09 Sep 2020
In reply to jon:

And my carer!

Gary Gibson 09 Sep 2020

Hi Alan, it seems we have sorted out all the problems with my sight 😓 

OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

> Hi Alan, it seems we have sorted out all the problems with my sight 😓 

New glasses - nice one

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...