Gary Gibson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Cullen 15 May 2020

Some might not know that Gary had a stroke a few weeks ago. It was after a trip to the US ( non climbing because of a recent trapped nerve in his arm) when he and Hazel had a stressful time getting home because of the lockdown. He has weakness in his left arm and hand making some everyday tasks quite frustrating. However he is getting out on 5 mile walks and he still talks the hind legs off a donkey. Just as  irritating for him is that his inexorable journey to 5,000 has been temporarily halted. I’m sure we all wish him a speedy recovery. He’d be happy to hear from old friends.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 May 2020
In reply to Chris Cullen:

That’s not great news, he is having a rough old time of it lately. Get well ASAP Gary.

Chris

Gary Gibson 15 May 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

It’s been a tough few weeks, what with the loss of my musical heroes in Dave GReenfield from the buStranglers but every step provides the slow route to recovery. My deepest thanks to everyone’s support and encouragement, especially yo Hazel my long suffering wife, now carter!

spenser 15 May 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

I hope you get well soon Gary, the idea of having a stroke is particularly unappealing.

In reply to Gary Gibson:

I was taking a bit of a break from UKC but when I saw this I had to log back in if only to wish you well.  Hope to run into you again soon but don't be tempted into rushing things.

All the best

Al

Post edited at 16:38
 Gary Gibson 15 May 2020
In reply to Chris it’s been a proper shock to the system as well as the loss of one of my musical heroes in Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers but a big thanks to everyone for their support most especially Hazel my wife, now my carer!

Andy Clarke 15 May 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Get well soon Gary. I'd have missed out on some great experiences without your routes.  Something Better Change (E2 5b) was my first ever extreme, one memorable summer evening at the Roaches. Today I've been enjoying the freedom, solitude and views on the 2nd Cloud, shunting another of yours: Legends of Lost Leaders (E3 5c). All the best

Gary Gibson 15 May 2020
In reply to Chris thanks Chris. Testing times for me, what with the loss of Dave Greenfield from the SStranglers as well but a big thanks to everyone for theirkind  words of support and encouragement, especially Hazel my wife, now my carer!

kevin stephens 15 May 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

> It’s been a tough few weeks, what with the loss of my musical heroes in Dave GReenfield from the buStranglers but every step provides the slow route to recovery. My deepest thanks to everyone’s support and encouragement, especially yo Hazel my long suffering wife, now carter!

Get strong soon Gary and hope you are enjoying your fresh air walks. And thanks due to your inadvertent typo for the mental picture of Hazel pushing you around in a hand cart

cwarby 15 May 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Gary

We've not met, but I've done more than a few routes of yours in the Wye valley and Pembroke. Given your comeback from an incident at Banygor, I wish you well and look forward to hearing you're back at it.

Chris_Mellor 15 May 2020

Just finished Gary's book. What a character. Best wishes for a fast and full recovery.

tom_lewis89 15 May 2020

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you Gary. Appreciate all your work! 

remus Global Crag Moderator 15 May 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

I was just enjoying a few routes of yours at Intake Quarry today. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Derek Furze 15 May 2020

That’s a shock!  Speedy rehab Gary! Last time I ran into you was when you were regearing College Buttress - apparently a success, so get well soon.  Hope you recover fully

Post edited at 21:00
 Tim Sparrow 16 May 2020

Not long finished your book which I really enjoyed. Best wishes for a full recovery and maybe reach that 5000!

mark s 16 May 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Get well soon matey. When heading to the churnet next will let you know for if you fancy coming out for a laugh and chat 

Gary Gibson 16 May 2020
In reply to mark s:give me a shout on messenger 

Gary Gibson 16 May 2020
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

Glad you enjoyed the book...only got a few left now

FactorXXX 16 May 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Get well soon.
What's the name of your next new route going to be?
Something in memory of Dave Greenfield?
Or, a similar route name to 'Head Tennis' which was named after your altercation with some rocks a few years back?
'A Stroke of Genius' perhaps?

Gary Gibson 16 May 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

A stroke of luck?

Stairclimber 16 May 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Good luck with the recovery Gary and then get busy developing a new crag where you can name 'Six of the Best'. 

Grumpy Old Man 17 May 2020

All the best for a speedy and total recovery Garry,

Gerry

Bob Bennett 17 May 2020

Best wishes for your recovery Gary.

Thrudge 17 May 2020

Sorry to hear about this.  I don't know Gary well, only enough to chat to at the wall; he's occasionally given me tips based on his decades of experience.  My two favourites are, "Try harder" and "Don't wear that pink t-shirt"  :-D

Get well soon, sir.

Hoping to see you up and about soon Gary!

roger whetton 19 May 2020

I'll try and get beyond the Pendulum Break on 4000 before you get to 5000 Gary!

Duncan Bourne 19 May 2020

I am sorry to hear that and really hope he gets better soon

MingDynasty 19 May 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

I love the Stranglers too. Only found out recently that Golden Brown was a reference to heroin. Always thought she was a girl. Still love the track though and very sad to hear of your stroke 😢. Hope you make a full recovery. Hazel is a 'Saint in disguise as your wife'! Val 

Rob Exile Ward 20 May 2020
In reply to MingDynasty:

(Golden Brown described the girl I was going out with at the time perfectly. So for me it will always be about a girl.)

Get well soon Gary, and get that 5000 tick! 

Mick Ward 20 May 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> (Golden Brown described the girl I was going out with at the time perfectly. So for me it will always be about a girl.)

So many songs that remind us of ladies of long gone summers...

> Get well soon Gary, and get that 5000 tick! 

It's going to happen! Will be emotional.

Mick

keith sanders 20 May 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Well Gary 2020 definatly a bad year, As I've said before that Lass of yours Hazel will have you back in no time ,Now chill for a while and a quick recovery .

keith s 

Coel Hellier 20 May 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

Trivia question:

Who is the UK's second most prolific new router, and have they done more than 10% of Gary's total?

Rob Exile Ward 20 May 2020
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Pete Oxley, and no?

Mick Ward 20 May 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward and Coel:

Well Pete's done circa 800 new routes, so that's about 16%.

Martin Crocker must have done an awful lot. Rowland and Mark Edwards have also done an awful lot, here and in Spain (thousands?)

I thought Emma Alsford had done circa 1,000, so 20% of Gary's (by my feeble maths).

Mick (Caveat: you really don't want me on a pub quiz, keep changing my mind!)

Mick

Simon Caldwell 22 May 2020
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Barry Clarke and yes?

Mick Ward 22 May 2020
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I think you've just won!

Mick

Gary Gibson 22 May 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Ironically I nearly called my autobiography Something Better Change 

Lankyman 22 May 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Martin Crocker must have done an awful lot

I seem to vaguely recall (which means I may have just dreamed it all up), back in the 80's that Martin was the second person person to rack up a thousand new routes, after Gary? I think back then he may have had an outside chance of catching up with Gary.

PS best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, Gary.

caradoc 24 May 2020

Gary, I met you once at Llanymynech and you did your party piece tap of your head; very effective and amusing. Thanks for doing all your bolting over the years and hopefully you will get back to it soon.

Gary Gibson 02 Jun 2020
In reply to MingDynasty:

According to Jet Black, the drummer it was always about toast!

Becky E 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Gary, so sorry to hear about your stroke. What a bugger! Hope you're doing okay.

You made me promise not to read the book that you donated as a quiz prize, so I didn't. But perhaps now's the time to buy a copy.

Becky

Rehan 10 Jun 2020

Looks like Gary will have material here for a chapter in volume 2 of his follow up book.  Volume 3 to follow with future adventures / misadventures...

The next batch of new routes to have a heart theme? 

blurty 10 Jun 2020

Last week I was looking into a grotty quarry, on the Derbys/ Staffs border, and thinking 'I wonder if Gary knows about this?' (Don't get your hopes up - it was overgrown shite)

Get well soon Gary

Post edited at 17:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...