Edinburgh climbing club today at Wolfcraig Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 14 Jun 2020

I don't think Edinburgh is within 5 miles of Bridge of Allan....I wasn't climbing and I am local. A climbing club is not exactly socially distancing with one other family. And I didn't see them cleaning/ disinfecting any holds after usage.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/supporter

Post edited at 23:09
 IanMcC 14 Jun 2020
In reply to Heike:

Glad I didn't pop by today. I'd been thinking about it.

Sean_J 14 Jun 2020
In reply to Heike:

How do you clean/disinfect holds? Do you clean/disinfect your holds when you have climbed on them?

OP Heike 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Heike:

At least take a brush (to clean the holds). Often people come and even chalk up foot holds with tons of chalk. Really? Why do you need to chalk up foot  holds? Anyways I am not complaining about that, but I am complaining that we have been told not to go more than 5 miles roughly and that climbing is also not on the cards. And then we have groups of people from Edinburgh driving more than 30 miles to climb in a local quarry whilst everyone else has ben staying at home since 21 March. It is galling . Sorry. But we have been doing it to keep down the infections - as hard as it has been. So, the least you can do ,if you ignore everything else, is to actually try and clean the holds a bit...

Post edited at 00:35
Andy Gamisou 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Heike:

What's the significance of the link with regards your post - just idle curiosity

GGD 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Heike:

Please don't encourage the active cleaning/disinfection of holds. Esepcially at Wolfrcrag, the polish is bad enough!

I suppose you could say using liquid chalk will do something since it is an alcohol solution. Although I don't think alcohol kills the virus.

Brushing may do something, but to be honest unless you're using a dustpan brush, or a broom, I think it would by hard to cover all parts of the wall possibly aspirated on.

Chalking footholds is a gripe of mine too. I think it comes from a confused notion of how chalk works. I see it at climbing walls a lot too.

OP Heike 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

No idea Andy Gamisou, never even posted it! But can't get rid of it..!!

Post edited at 09:40
 duchessofmalfi 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Heike:

Brushing is effective against corona virus but only if the brush is made with 90% alcohol.

Michael Gordon 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Heike:

I don't support some of the overly restrictive measures, but a climbing club meet does seem to be taking the piss.

Wicamoi 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Heike:

I took a stroll past Wolfcrag last week, maybe Thursday, and saw about 15-20 boulderers there who gave the impression of being a single group. I hope this behaviour isn't becoming normalised. With the number of new cases falling to low levels in Scotland, it only requires a little more effort to bring them down to a level where track and trace might be effective. We all suffer if we weaken our resolve now, and sticking to the guidelines for a few more weeks really isn't that arduous. My dad is in a care home, and I'd really like to see him again.

Martin W 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Wicamoi:

There were a dozen or so folks at the Agassiz rock when I cycled past there last week.  Even if they all arrived separately from within a radius of five miles, it's such a small venue that any more than two or three people is going to have the appearance - and the practical effect - a single group.  Especially when half of them are sitting around watching the others working problems.

Post edited at 23:36
 Smelly Fox 17 Jun 2020
In reply to Heike:

Were they all huddled together snogging, or were they just having a nice time outdoors? If so, so what. Maybe you should just join in instead of shaming for the sake of it. Do you honestly believe the next outbreak is going to originate from a breezy Wolfcraig? I reckon it’s much more likely in my local Morrison’s.

Having just spent most of lockdown in Scandinavia, I wish I’d never come back... the hysteria here is quite incredible.

Wicamoi 17 Jun 2020
In reply to Smelly Fox:

I don't think anyone thinks a new superspreader event is likely to happen in Wolfcrag (although Wolfcrag is not at all breezy!), it's more that this is an indication of a wider lack of commitment to lockdown, and one relevant to a climbing forum.

Smelly Fox 17 Jun 2020
In reply to Wicamoi:

I know, and perhaps I came across a bit more combative than I meant to with that last post, but I’m a 100% against commitment to lockdown measures when they have no basis on science. I’ve heard lots of arguments for and against, and my clear view is it makes no sense to restrict people’s movements for activities such as this.

Especially in a central belt quarry, populated by central belters.

I took my 3 year old to Auchinstarry the other day (within 5 miles of my house) to feed the ducks, and the car park is completely bouldered off. It’s all just sad really. And I emphasise, hysterical.

Post edited at 00:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...