Drop Foot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Anyone here had it? I've been suffering for the last couple of weeks - I was told over the phone (first physio appointment is next week) that I could expect to not be climbing for several months, which isn't ideal as I'm away in Chorro for most of Jan!

Any tips for managing it, or strapping ankles etc?

mattdennies 14 Dec 2018
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

Hey, a physio here...

You may find something like this is of help, it should work with lace up climbing shoes. https://www.ossur.co.uk/injury-solutions/products/foot-and-ankle/ankle-foot...

It very much depends on how severe your drop foot is, how long it takes to come on etc. as to how beneficial it will be, discuss it with your physio. They should give you some exercises to do but it is very much dependant on the cause of your drop foot as to how quickly you can expect it to improve.

There's nothing stopping you from going on a top rope to find out how tricky it will be!

I would suggest other appointments might also be useful as well as seeing a physio. Drop-foot in a 20 something young man is unusual, & needs investigation, tho I'm sure you are aware of this

adamtheclimber 14 Dec 2018

I had it and carried on climbing as far as i remember. Was in my mid 20s. Got it from crossing legs at work too much, had caused a nerve in my leg to become trapped. Stopped crossing legs and cleared up a month or so later as i recall. Good luck.

Post edited at 20:55
 badgerjockey 16 Dec 2018

I had it after running down a dolomite to catch the last cable car. Which we missed. So had to hike down steep tracks. The impact swelled up my knee and compressed a nerve and was persistent for at least a couple of days. Until I researched it a bit, took a load of ibuprofen and it cleared up almost instantly...

Thanks all! I'm definitely going to be toproping as much as possible until things are back to normal. I appreciate the 20-something comment, I'm nearly 36! :p I also have a bad habit of both leg-crossing, and hanging my legs over the end of the sofa at home - I've stopped both (or I'm correcting when I notice!) and hopefully things will start to clear up

Mr. Lee 19 Dec 2018

> I'm nearly 36! :p I also have a bad habit of both leg-crossing, and hanging my legs over the end of the sofa at home - I've stopped both (or I'm correcting when I notice!) and hopefully things will start to clear up

Is that the opinion of a medical professional? There's some very serious conditions that can cause an idiopathic drop foot, so if you haven't been properly checked out then maybe you should? An MRI scan is not uncommon to rule things out. 

Re orthoses, I'm an orthotist, so you could try one of these:

https://www.orthotix.co.uk/shop/summer-promotions-google/boxia-drop-foot-af...

They are very effective when it's just a foot lifting problem and the other muscle groups are intact. If there are other muscle groups affected then it may not be appropriate. Eg inability to do heel raises. I'm not fan of the orthosis in the first reply as it is a lot harder to adjust the tension to the correct amount and the design it pretty primitive in comparison. The ribbon that attaches to the shoe has a habit of stretching with time as well. There's a newer version, but I still don't think the design is as good as the Boxia. 

https://www.ossurwebshop.co.uk/rebound-foot-up-for-drop-foot.html

Girlvsgravity 19 Dec 2018

I 2nd what Lees said above. Should definitely go to the GP to get more serious causes ruled out.

I also happen to be an Orthotist. Theres 100's of supports for foot drop. All have there good points and bad points. A boxia may be a good place to start (as said above). Its more durable than a foot up so will be more likely to last your holiday in el Chorro.

Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions

Andrew Lodge 19 Dec 2018

Blimey, I wouldn't have guessed at three of us orthotists on UKC.

Baz P 21 Dec 2018

I've had a drop foot for 50 years, caused by a motorcycle accident. At that time you were given a calliper with a spring attached to your shoe. I have never needed any support for climbing (up to E4 but on the way down) you just have to lift your leg a little higher to get the toe on the hold.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...