December/Xmas Leave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reader_Rambles 10 Sep 2022

I will have some period of time off over Christmas, likely starting around the 16th and ending very early January. What would you all recommend I do with my time over between then? 

I want to either hike, climb but where and when I don't know. I have been away from anything related to outdoor activities for since covid kicked off and I got a new job with more commitments. I would like to start using my time away from work more for myself and in the light of hiking/climbing. 

How was the weather last year for late December/early January? I guess nowhere is 'in' in terms of winter mountaineering within the UK at least. 

Cheers, 
Luke

broken spectre 10 Sep 2022
In reply to Reader_Rambles:

Not sure how accurate long range forecasts are but...

"Europe features higher than normal temperatures. A more westerly flow dominant scenario is suggested, but the pressure pattern does allow for a break in the flow. Occasional cold flow from northwest Europe is possible down into the mainland."

https://www.severe-weather.eu/long-range-2/winter-forecast-2022-2023-season...

Which is fantastic news financially but could blight your plans!!

In reply to broken spectre:

A useful website to see and read from. Thank you for sharing this. I'm sure it will aide in hand railing decisions early on for what to do throughout the winter/Christmas period. 

spenser 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Reader_Rambles:

Christmas is often not great from a winter mountaineering point of view, however I have got quite a few munros done over christmas breaks in the last 4 years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...