Coombes Rocks. Charlesworth. Any experiences ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marktrik 13 Mar 2020

Been thinking about climbing at Coombes Rocks above Cherlesworth. 

Any advice, experiences, loose rock, setting up belay anchors etc...

Be good to know so we know what to expect. 

Thanks.

Coombes Rocks

Derek Furze 13 Mar 2020
In reply to marktrik:

I've been once a few years ago on a sunny afternoon and soloed several routes.  It was reasonably solid and mainly quite short, though I think there were routes that were high enough that I walked on by in places.  I obviously wasn't looking for anchors. but I think the top was flat in most parts with boulders and fences in places.  Not a destination I'd rush back to visit again, but it was OK for some exercise if passing.  The views are quite good.  Easy access

In reply to marktrik:

I've soloed pretty much everything at the Northern end but not been to the plantation end. Most is solid but where the top out isn't its pretty obvious before you leave the deck. There are a few really good routes in there. Worth a visit. 

HB1 14 Mar 2020
In reply to marktrik:

We passed by just yesterday. Difficult to pinpoint particular possibilities. We were heading for Manchester Airport at the time!

OP marktrik 14 Mar 2020
In reply to marktrik:

I've read about in 'over the moors' guidebook and obviously on ukc. Will probably do a quick look before commenting to a climb session there. Climbing shoes and chalk bag is easy enough to carry with the option for some soloing. 

Always worth a look at a possible new destination. 

mrphilipoldham 14 Mar 2020
In reply to marktrik:

Much of the northern end is doable as solos if you're confident enough at the relatively low grades, they're of that awkward height where it seems a faff to gear up, but where you wish you had when you reach some of the crumbly tops! 

Cown Edge on the other side of the hill has a small selection of mild grades perfect for soloing for an hour or two, too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...