bristol for a climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 justdoit 03 Dec 2019

hello, 

I am currently thinking of relocating in the next year or so, Bristol is quite high on my list (cool city, lots of different stuff going on, good location). 

but climbing is obviously a big point, Ive seen there is Avon, Chedder, Brean down. I am also very keen to climb in Devon/cornwall/lundy/pembroke. 

I suppose my main question is there much of a climbing community in the Bristol area? people keen to get out in the evening after work?  weekend climbing regularly ? 

thank you 

fammer 03 Dec 2019
In reply to justdoit:

There's a good scene, with 4 climbing centres in town as well so easy to meet people. As well as the crags you mentioned south wales is also nearby for weekend trips, and only 40 minutes to the wye valley.

Donotello 04 Dec 2019
In reply to justdoit:

I’d say the biggest climbing community in the south of the U.K. thanks to 194 indoor centres and the 565 crags within an hours drive. 

Post edited at 00:00
 PaulJepson 05 Dec 2019
In reply to justdoit:

3 Bouldering centres, 2 roped centres. Avon Gorge, Frome Valley and Trym Valley within the city. Numerous Facebook groups with people looking for partners. At least 2 BMC affiliated active mountaineering clubs (Avon Mountaineering, Red Rope Club). Easy-access to Wye Valley (Woodcroft, Wyndcliff, Ban-y-Gor for sport. Wintours, Wyndcliff Main for trad). Not dead far to Pembroke, Peak, or Cornwall. Good motorway access (junction of M4 & M5).

I'd say for a climber (if you want the big city experience 'n all) then it's a toss up between Bristol and Sheffield. 

PaulJepson 05 Dec 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Argh, forgot Shorncliff!

Symonds Yat close as well.

Donotello 06 Dec 2019

Only set back is the amount of money you’ll have to cough up on guidebooks just to cover the immediate vicinity. 

leland stamper 06 Dec 2019
In reply to Donotello:

Isn't that a positive?

Donotello 07 Dec 2019
In reply to leland stamper:

For your send bank, yes!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...