Avon and Cheddar Climbers Club guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hebes 28 Jul 2020

This is a long shot but I'm looking for this guide and don't want to pay over £100 just because it's out of print.
I found some old threads with links to pdf and mobi downloads but the links are broken now. Does anyone have one they'd be willing to share or know of a download link that is still current?
Thanks

In reply to hebes:

Price depends on which edition you want. Go to abebooks and search second hand books for avon and cheddar. I have just looked and there is at least one copy of the 1992 two volume set at £12 plus p&p. If you prefer the 2004 edition then start saving your pocket money as they are ridiculously expensive, wish I hadn't given mine away!

For the most up to date guides, Avon (£25) and Cheddar (£20). Both are listed as in stock.

Bobling 28 Jul 2020
In reply to hebes:

Wow!  I'm sitting on a gold mine!  Why is this guide suddenly so expensive/sought after?

Nathan Horwood 28 Jul 2020
In reply to hebes:

Holy crap, why are they worth so much? I have the laminated 2004 edition here sat on my bookshelf. 

Donotello 29 Jul 2020
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

I also have the laminated 2 parter 2004 books that I’ve never taken out, I bought it for Portishead and goblin Combe esoterica just before the GWR book came out!

Post edited at 00:05
 Dave Garnett 29 Jul 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Mine even has an invitation to the launch party tucked inside the cover.

Ally Smith 29 Jul 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Mine even has an invitation to the launch party tucked inside the cover.

Snap!

bpmclimb 29 Jul 2020

Hi Trevor. As a matter of interest, do you know of any other sought-after out-of-print CC guidebooks? I have quite a collection; never thought they'd be worth much though. Brian.

BStar 29 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

You'll probably find that the price is not set because of the huge demand or popularity of this book, more so that it fits an algorithm of out of print and it will be the last one that is advertised on ebay or amazon. It happens to plenty of books but I highly doubt a human has set that price, more likely a computer generated price to try the luck. 

Ally Smith 29 Jul 2020
In reply to BStar:

> You'll probably find that the price is not set because of the huge demand or popularity of this book, more so that it fits an algorithm of out of print and it will be the last one that is advertised on ebay or amazon. It happens to plenty of books but I highly doubt a human has set that price, more likely a computer generated price to try the luck. 

Agreed. There's examples on fleabay for ~£40 and also >£100 which are probably the algorithm listed "last example" prices.

Paul Ha 29 Jul 2020
In reply to hebes:

I have a copy (2004) I think if thats what you are looking for?

leland stamper 29 Jul 2020
In reply to hebes:

The Gorge Outdoors down in Cheddar were flogging off 2004 copies for something like a tenner a couple of years ago. Not on their website anymore but you could ask.

The Pylon King 29 Jul 2020
In reply to leland stamper:

> The Gorge Outdoors down in Cheddar were flogging off 2004 copies for something like a tenner a couple of years ago. Not on their website anymore but you could ask.

And Dick's.

Donotello 29 Jul 2020
In reply to leland stamper:

Yeh they were £10 everywhere since the 2015 book I think 

In reply to bpmclimb:

Brian, to be honest I was amazed to see the asking price for the 2004 edition. Perhaps the price is driven by an apparent scarcity in the second hand market as everyone is still using theirs? I haven't seen any other more recent CC guides being quoted at silly money. The only big ticket guides may be the first three ever produced, Lliwedd (1909 - the first pocket guidebook), Ogwen (1910) and Beddgelert area (1926), you can pay over £100 for each of these collector's items. It looks like you aren't sitting on a goldmine!

The Pylon King 30 Jul 2020

> Brian, to be honest I was amazed to see the asking price for the 2004 edition. Perhaps the price is driven by an apparent scarcity in the second hand market as everyone is still using theirs? I haven't seen any other more recent CC guides being quoted at silly money. The only big ticket guides may be the first three ever produced, Lliwedd (1909 - the first pocket guidebook), Ogwen (1910) and Beddgelert area (1926), you can pay over £100 for each of these collector's items. It looks like you aren't sitting on a goldmine!

But he have the ones you just mentioned!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...