Yoga fit club 2nd week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 heleno 10 Apr 2020

A thread for those using the lockdown to either start yoga, or take their yoga further. 

NOT intended to detract from the long-running UKC fit club, but to allow yoga-specific sharing of tips, video class recommendations, achievements etc.  I’m also a yoga teacher, so if you’re a beginner I may be able to answer any queries.

Any newcomers to the thread, please feel free to join in!

Last weeks thread:                                            

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rock_talk/ukc_yoga_fit_club-717821

Little Butch: Hope you find some more video classes that you liked?

Wild Scallion: Sounds like good stuff.  Impressive that you can hold headstand for that long!

Derek Furze: Good to hear that it’s feeling a little easier already

Gravy: Did you find any video classes with less irritating music?

HansStuttgart: Thanks for posting that link.  I had a go at the class last week and really enjoyed it!  How are you finding it?

Girlymonkey: Hope your running injury is easing.  Did you try any more of Adriene’s classes?  And have you persuaded your husband to give it a go?

Nigel Coe: Well done reaching day 15 of your 30 days.  Hope the next 15 days go well.

Disclaimer: Even very strong and fit climbers can injure themselves if yoga poses are done incorrectly.  If you’re trying yoga for the first time via an online class, it’s best to choose one which takes time to show how to do the poses safely.

Derek Furze 11 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

Been a poor week for training generally, but back to it today.  Looking forward to yoga and the online resources are helping - as is the thread.  Will report again

Little Butch 11 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

I really like the hips, hamstrings and lower back video so I’ve followed that a few times. I’m always on the go so it’s nice to follow the ending along and relax properly!

HansStuttgart 11 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

Hi, yes it is a good workout. I especially like the gradual build-up in the planck-dog waves and the combination of strength exercises with balance. And it introduced me to the goddess pose, which is great!

girlymonkey 11 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

My running injury is niggling on. I think it's an alignment issue which has caused the initial injury, and it's not going to go away until my usual magic lady is able to work again. However, I am continuing to do follow various videos, including some of Ardriene's ones, to try and mitigate the effects as much as possible while living on a diet of ibuprofen!! lol.

My husband did try a short video and kind of got on ok, but I don't think he's done it again since. It's so hard for him that he's a long way off finding it in any way pleasurable.

Flamingsarah 11 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

Hi, just found this as I’ve posted a message elsewhere in the forums.

well I’m a 12 years in Ashtanga devotee, although building more restorative yoga into my practice. Whilst still working throughout lockdown, as I’m front line NHS, I am really enjoying the extra time I have for practice, combined with walking seeing as the crabs are on hold! I started it doing it mainly for good mental health but have also found numerous other benefits ~ flexibility, good knowledge of alignment, a change in body shape, great balance and really good muscle tone. It also really helps with climbing. The good mental health bit is really needed now more than ever with working longer hours in a very intensive environment. It’s a precious gift.

recommendations for anybody wanting to try ashtanga if not already experienced at it: Rebel Buddha (Zach Wagner), Via youtube.  He has posted a range of uploads for all from beginner to established practitioner. Also David Swenson, also via youtube. 

namaste 

Flamingsarah 11 Apr 2020
In reply to Flamingsarah:

Erm I should say ‘crags’ are on hold lol!

OP heleno 12 Apr 2020
In reply to Flamingsarah:

Glad you could join in!  I've tried Ashtanga a few times but didn't get hooked - perhaps I'll try your recommendations to give it another go.

Great that yoga is helping in your incredibly demanding job.  Thanks to you and your colleagues from all of us.

OP heleno 12 Apr 2020
In reply to Derek Furze:

> Been a poor week for training generally

My week didn't well for yoga either.  Started well with the video shared by HansStuttgart - an enjoyable and fast-moving core workout.  But then had some unrelated health problems for a few days and only just getting back to speed again now.

However pleased that taking a few days off doesn't seem to have affected my progress on my challenging poses - in fact Crow is feeling easier now that my triceps have had a few days to recover from the pressure of my knees!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...