Woolley Edge Quarry near Wakefield, Free guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kryank 15 Sep 2020

Hi all,

I have been working on a guide for some friends (and anyone else) for my local crag to help get some more footfall there

i am providing it free of charge, the info for it has come from various sources, the photos are all my own.

thanks to John Wright for his pointers on some of the routes. 

it is still a work in progress and I will be updating it 

this is the first thing like this I have ever done so any opinions are welcome 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pPE88L5FZtQkdk6981M0fqxbg91iWSxj/view?usp=...

Have fun and happy climbing! 

any questions let me know,

cheers

Ryan

Deezel65 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Kryank:

Great stuff mate, myself and a mate logged most of the routes in the lower quarry and put up the original pics with lines so it’s nice to see a complete guide - great job.

JMarkW 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Kryank:

Nice one good effort.

Still cant believe Making Love to a Greasy Spoon is still f6c though....

😕

In reply to Kryank:

Excellent work. I've been thinking of heading here for a while, this guide may provide me with the motivation required.

Cheers.

OP Kryank 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Deezel65:

Thanks mate, and thanks for the original work you guys put in! It’s a great little spot, easy to get to and some great problems all with good landings (thanks to all the people over the years who have dug out / Cleared them ) and nice and sheltered with it being in woodland, it’s a shame about some of the fly tipping that goes on in the lower quarry, keep filling a bin bag up every time I go down there, but I may have to go and have a more serious cleaning session 😂. 

John Gresty 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Kryank:

According to this guide I as soloing 5a in a pair of Dunlop Green Flash tennis shoes over 50 years ago. Maybe I was, I hadn't a clue what I was doing those days.

John Gresty

ro8x 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Kryank:

Fantastic guide - I used to climb here a lot back in the day and it is good to finally see what I was actually trying

Will have to have a trip over to check it out again.

Karl

Offwidth 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Kryank:

Looks great Ryan.

My only suggestion is to add a link to BMC RAD.

Removed User 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Kryank:

Nice. Couple of technical suggestions...

1) Compress pictures to say 300dpi and 80% quality - the download is massive at 170 mb.

2) Identify location of crag and footpath on the map on page 3.

Alaister 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Kryank:

Nice work mate, good to see more people climbing in the quarry.

Has anybody here done Joanne (7a+)? I don't seem to be able to start the problem. Is it a sit start? because I can't reach to holds from the ground, unless people are stacking pads.

OP Kryank 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

Good idea I’ll add it and update.

OP Kryank 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed User:

yeah I am just working on compressing the whole pdf to reduce size and will update when I’m done,

and a good idea about the map on page 3

afx22 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Kryank:

If I follow the link, I get the message

Google Drive can't scan this file for viruses.

Woolley Edge Quarry Bouldering Guide.pdf (169M) is too large for Google to scan for viruses. Would you still like to download this file?

This doesn’t fill be with confidence.  If there’s anything you can do to make this safe, that would be great.

I appreciate the hard work and look forward to see the compressed guide.  Thanks!

OP Kryank 16 Sep 2020
In reply to afx22:

Yeah I am going to add a compressed (smaller) version it’s just that the file size is too large to be scanned, 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...