Which was the first guide book to use a star for recommended climbs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 USBRIT 30 Jul 2023

A question>>> which guide book first introduce a star to a route description as a recommended climb? 

oldie 30 Jul 2023
In reply to USBRIT:

Ron James selected climbs in N Wales guidebook? 1970s

Ian Parsons 30 Jul 2023
In reply to oldie:

> Ron James selected climbs in N Wales guidebook? 1970s

The first edition was in 1970; not certain whether it used stars - as opposed to their appearance in later editions - but vague memory suggests that it did.

It's worth noting that single stars in some earlier guides meant something different. In the 1970 Bob Dearman/Dave Riley Cheddar guide they simply indicated that the route in question had been checked by the writers. Conversely, in the 1980 edition of Bob Moulton's Lundy guide [and possibly the two earlier editions], a star after the FA year- or rather, in this case, an asterisk - denoted that the route was not known at the time of writing to have had a second ascent. The intro sections to John Brailsford's 1970 Dolomites volumes include this note: "Those which rely heavily on straight translation are marked with an asterisk to denote that particular caution is required when using the description." Confusingly, in this instance, the 'asterisks' are actually stars!

Post edited at 17:45
In reply to Ian Parsons:

I can confirm (I’ve just looked at my copy) Ron James’s, first edition 1970 N Wales guide had stars. It was the full modern system of 0-3 stars, as at present day.

Post edited at 18:28
 Connor Nunns 30 Jul 2023
In reply to USBRIT:

The 1966 Borrowdale Climber's Guide by Paul Ross and Michael Thompson used a single asterisk to indicate routes of good quality. 

It is interesting to note that many of the starred routes in the old book currently get no stars. Also comments on the UKC logbooks generally refer to the routes as vegetated choss.

Sam Beaton 30 Jul 2023
In reply to Connor Nunns:

I think USBRIT might be aware of that particular guidebook.....

Michael Hood 30 Jul 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

> I think USBRIT might be aware of that particular guidebook.....

Beat me to it 😁

Steve Clegg 30 Jul 2023
In reply to USBRIT:

I've put three photos in my gallery which should help. Paul's and Mike Thompson's guide came out in the mid-sixties.

Thanks Paul

Andy2 30 Jul 2023
In reply to USBRIT:

Cornwall Vol 1, 1968, had a list of climbs at the back of the book, with up to three stars per route.

OP USBRIT 30 Jul 2023
In reply to Connor Nunns:   Thanks ,I guess an asterisk did the same as a star.

Greenbanks 31 Jul 2023
In reply to USBRIT:

And which was the first to denote climbs ‘best avoided’? I recall the ‘black spot’, for instance 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...