Where were you all?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Darkinbad 19 Jun 2023

Got back late last night from a fine weekend climbing in Borrowdale (Sergeant's Crag and Lower Falcon). Didn't see a single other climber. Were we too timid, climbing in the valley, and everyone was on the mountain crags? Or was everyone jaded after weeks of fine weather and a long weekend, and not inclined to risk the slightly unsettled forecast? There were certainly plenty of non-climbers at our campsite and out enjoying the countryside in their own particular ways (our climbing at Sergeant's was punctuated by whoops of delight and a beat-box accompaniment from Black Moss Pot, which couldn't help but raise a smile). Where were you all?

Post edited at 17:49
 Sam Beaton 19 Jun 2023
In reply to Darkinbad:

We were keen on the Lakes or North Wales at the weekend but the forecast of storms put us off so we went to Northumberland instead. Heading to Gogarth tomorrow for a couple of days unless anyone can convince us that Dinas Mot is still dry and likely to stay dry til Friday??

climbingpixie 19 Jun 2023
In reply to Darkinbad:

I was at home. Mostly because I was knackered - I've been away for 5 of the last 6 weekends taking advantage of the dry weather to climb in the Lakes, Wales and Scotland. Weather looked like it would be warm and muggy and there was a potential for thundery showers so I just wasn't that psyched. Got a new spinning wheel recently and I've barely had time to play with it so I spent the weekend mostly in my PJs, drinking tea, spinning/knitting, trying to catch up on house stuff and cooking. Boring but actually much needed!

James0101 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Darkinbad:

On Sunday I was climbing on the Shelterstone with 2 other teams. There were 4 more teams opposite on Hells Lum crag.

Dave Garnett 20 Jun 2023
In reply to James0101:

> On Sunday I was climbing on the Shelterstone with 2 other teams. There were 4 more teams opposite on Hells Lum crag.

We were on Great Gable the previous weekend and had to queue!

nniff 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Darkinbad:

On Pavey Ark on Saturday - moderately busy.  On Sunday we went to Black Crag, because of the forecast and fled prematurely when it rained a bit because we thought the rain was arriving early.  Stayed nice and rather warm so we went for a bike ride instead over some unforgiving passes, and then drove home through torrential rain

MeMeMe 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Darkinbad:

Gimmer was heaving with climbers on Saturday. On Sunday we aborted to Coudy Rocks figuring we be annoyed with a long walk in if the weather broke.

What with the good weather I think people have generally been trying to get to the higher crags now they are dry.

markk 20 Jun 2023
In reply to MeMeMe:

It was deserted yesterday evening!

Robert Durran 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Darkinbad:

Lewis🙂

scruff 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Darkinbad:

Bivied at styhead then did needle ridge on Saturday. Saw one party on Napes needle. My kid now has unrealistic expectations of lakes mountain cragging 😀

climbingpixie 20 Jun 2023
In reply to MeMeMe:

> What with the good weather I think people have generally been trying to get to the higher crags now they are dry.

Someone was posting on the CC FB group the other week, complaining about the state of British trad because he'd been for a walk along Froggatt and there were no climbers out. This was in the height of the hot dry weather when I was up in Scotland and climbing on mountain crags pretty much every day, never had a crag to ourselves, every crag was busy (4 parties on Carnmore, Slime Wall rammed etc)... Frankly I'd fear more for the state of British trad if people were climbing on Froggatt in those conditions!

Sam Beaton 21 Jun 2023
In reply to scruff:

Not seen you here for a while! Did all four of you do Needle Ridge?

In reply to Darkinbad:

Surely the correct answer is - doing what any self-respecting climber would do these days, using the legendary sticky damp from the impending thunderstorm to set PBs on the Beastmaker and uploading the reel to Instagram?

Michael Hood 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Darkinbad:

The weather on Sunday in the Lakes was a bit weird. Driving up the M6 in the morning visibility was claggy/poor until going up to Shap, from there on it was clear but high level overcast.

Spent the day orienteering (Binsey) and walking north of Skiddaw, all clear, occasionally briefly sunny.

Started driving back eastward about 5:30, that's a bit (i.e. very) dark grey, where's the view gone? Followed by rain, torrential rain and the Pennines and Lakes hills having disappeared on the M6 going south. I reckon south Lakes was probably poor all day but north Lakes ok.

Inevitably going past Preston took a bit longer than normal.

In reply to Darkinbad:

> Got back late last night from a fine weekend climbing in Borrowdale (Sergeant's Crag and Lower Falcon). Didn't see a single other climber. Were we too timid, climbing in the valley, and everyone was on the mountain crags? Or was everyone jaded after weeks of fine weather and a long weekend, and not inclined to risk the slightly unsettled forecast? There were certainly plenty of non-climbers at our campsite and out enjoying the countryside in their own particular ways (our climbing at Sergeant's was punctuated by whoops of delight and a beat-box accompaniment from Black Moss Pot, which couldn't help but raise a smile). Where were you all?

I've been put off trying Borrowdale as I understood parking had become a nightmare. 

LakesWinter 21 Jun 2023
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

I think parking had been difficult at seathwaite due to the insane popularity of scafell pike but that the farmer had opened another field at busy times.

Other than that its seemed ok to me the last few years if one goes to park early enough

scruff 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Occasionally pass by. Was just me and the youngest - there choice of birthday treat

David Cowley 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Darkinbad:

There was a few teams on Gable Crag and also around the Napes on sat. We went high cause thought it would be red hot low down

climbingpixie 21 Jun 2023
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Think it's just Black Crag and Shepherds that are a ballache to park. On the plus side, Shepherds has been noticeably much quieter since they stopped letting climbers park at the cafe. Luckily I'm a CC member so I can park at the hut in Grange and walk straight from there.

Sam Beaton 21 Jun 2023
In reply to scruff:

I wish my 10th birthday present had been a trip up Needle Ridge!

planetmarshall 21 Jun 2023
In reply to climbingpixie:

> Think it's just Black Crag and Shepherds that are a ballache to park. On the plus side, Shepherds has been noticeably much quieter since they stopped letting climbers park at the cafe. 

Plenty of climbers at Shepherd's on Sunday. Can't say that I'd describe it as quiet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...