Tracking down Bernard Newman and other Leeds alumni

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sahara 26 Aug 2022

I'm a student at Leeds University and editor of The Journal, the Leeds Uni climbing magazine which we are bringing back to life after it's last publication 30 odd years ago. 

I have been trying to get in touch with Bernard Newman, an ex LUUMC member of the 70s and former editor of Climber magazine. If anyone knows a contact for him or an idea of how I could track him down, please tell!! Likewise, Dennis Gray and any individuals who were part of the scene 20+ years ago. The Journal is a celebration of the history of climbing in Leeds and West Yorkshire and I'm hoping to paint a picture of what life used to be like in the society and the wider climbing scene through interviews, old pictures and articles etc. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sahara 

Pedro50 26 Aug 2022
In reply to sahara:

I've emailed Bernard to alert him to your post.

Peter

Email bounced back undelivered I'm afraid.

Post edited at 10:21
 Pekkie 26 Aug 2022
In reply to sahara:

Mick Ward, who is a user on here, used to go to the Leeds Wall in the 70s and wrote an interesting article about it. Might have some info/contacts?

65 26 Aug 2022
In reply to sahara:

Dennis is on FB, you should be able to track him down there.

In reply to sahara:

Bernard and I were both in LUUMC in the early 70's.  A lot of our contemporaries are no longer with us,Roger Baxter Jones,Alex Mac,John Syrett etc but Mike Mortimer ,Pete Scott are still around. Will contact BCN we might have some pics between us.

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 26 Aug 2022
In reply to sahara:

Have sent you a PM

OP sahara 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

That's a shame, maybe an out of use email? Thanks for your help nevertheless!

Mick Ward 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Pekkie:

Hi Pete, 

John Syrett's sister, Pol, has written a very thought-provoking biography, 'Searching for My Brother'. I can't find it on Kindle. The (beautifully produced) hardback's pretty expensive, even though Pol has greatly subsidised it. Limited editions of quality books... There's a lot of detail about the 1970s. 

Pol did extensive research and was in contact with many people who were around at the time. I think she may be on Facebook? She's certainly on LinkedIn. And I can give an email contact if need be. 

Sadly I gather Dennis Gray may not be in good health. Until about a year ago he wrote excellent book reviews and other articles for Footless Crow. 

Bumped into Mike Mortimer in Spain last winter, so he's definitely on the go. 

Al Manson would be a superb source. I know someone who's a good friend of his and would have contact details. 

Brian Hall would also be a great source. He's on Facebook. I believe his groundbreaking book has just come out - it will probably have lots of stuff about the 70s generation of which he was a prominent activist. 

More recent alumni include Will Hunt who deserted Pex for Almscliff (shock horror!) and went on to produce the north of England guidebook. 

Hope this helps. Have put the link to my UKC article below. 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/how_the_leeds_wall_changed_cli...

mick 

OP sahara 26 Aug 2022
In reply to freelunchprovider:

Thanks for your response, I'd love to see some of your photos and perhaps I would be able to use them in the Journal? Would it be possible to speak some more to you about your time as part of LUUMC?

OP sahara 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Mick Ward:

Hi Mick

Thanks so much for your response. I actually stumbled across your article a few months ago, around the same time I was beginning to discover old copies of the Journal, and it was one of the things that inspired me to restart the magazine. 

Would you by any chance be open to talking more about your time as part of LUUMC? Perhaps we could arrange a phone call? And I will have a look into the individuals you mentioned, you've been a massive help already!!

Sahara

In reply to sahara:

I would be happy to help, since I was a member of LUUCC (as it was then called) from 1969 to 1974. I have Bernard's phone number.

Mick Ward 26 Aug 2022
In reply to sahara:

Hi, 

I was down the road at Bradford so, although we bumped into the Leeds people, I wasn't really a part of that scene. In retrospect, a pity. There were so many vibrant characters around. Another activist was Chris Addy, a very talented climber indeed. If I remember correctly he seconded John Allen on the first free ascent of Great Wall.  

But you've got John and others; there will be no shortage of help. Those two journals by Bernard really caught the spirit of that era. 

Good luck! 

Mick 

ams 26 Aug 2022
In reply to sahara:

I still have the 1967 & 1973 Journals and a few photos of the early 1970s (scans of slides).  To add to the names already mentioned, Ken Wood still lives in Bradford, Andy Long is on Facebook and lives on Shetland. Tim Jepson lives in North Wales and is also on Facebook and on the BMC list of guides - he's the one with the pot leg and crutches, who 'also chose to climb'.

ben b 27 Aug 2022
In reply to sahara:

John Eames is alive and well in North Wales - albeit with considerably less hair - with a long climbing/guiding/telemark instructing career (and has finally made an honest woman of Bonny Masson). He was a contemporary of Bernard, Alex Mac, John Powell and John Porter. PM me for contacts.

b

In reply to sahara:

You have mail.

Terry Hirst 27 Aug 2022
In reply to sahara: Chris Hamper, Martin Berzins, Nic Hallam + myself were active members in the mid/late 1970’s and all are on FB. I also have contact details if needed. Terry Hirst

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...