Tilberthwaite belays

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gaz.marshall 21 Jun 2021

I climbed a couple of routes at  Tilberthwaite Quarry last night (Kick Off and Jugglers Crack) and think I must be missing something, cos I struggled to find anything to build a good anchor at the top, particularly Jugglers. I'm assuming there was something hidden in the bracken or otherwise it would be mentioned in the guide.

My belayer wasn't seconding so I did eventually manage to ab and strip my gear, but the anchors were far from ideal. So, what did miss?!

tmawer 21 Jun 2021
In reply to gaz.marshall:

I think i used the tree on kick off but can't remember the other but perhaps the stake is missing, don't remember any issues. 

petegunn 21 Jun 2021

There are quite a few stakes on both sides but they can be hard to locate once the bracken is up. Once found I've always tried to put some slates around the base to try band make them easier to spot, I know they do go missing from time to time though.

Like tmawer said, many just belay from the tree on Kick Off or even ab down off a sling and belay the second from the floor, the second can then clip to the sling, double the rope and ab off, saving the tree from direct damage.

OP gaz.marshall 22 Jun 2021
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks both. I'll do more hunting in the bracken next time.

Yes, I abbed from a sling on the tree above Kick Off, which was fine really. 

The Jugglers ab was a little more 'interesting'!

helix 18 Jul 2021

I’m really confused, I went to look at Jugglers Crack a couple of years ago and the whole wall seemed to have collapsed. Was I looking in the wrong place?!

petegunn 18 Jul 2021
In reply to helix:

I think jugglers crack just missed the rock fall although it's right by it so probably best avoided. Punchy Patterson and Anvil Arete are both OK and unaffected.

Post edited at 10:56
 helix 18 Jul 2021
In reply to petegunn:

Oh ok, that makes sense, thanks 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...