Sport Climbing September - Where to go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveoracle 11 Jul 2023

Hi Lovely Folks,

Looking for a good location for a sport climbing trip in September, I'm guessing Spain and Kalymnos are too hot in September. Other suggestions? 

Cheers,

Steve

In reply to steveoracle:

I don't know if you've already discounted Kalymnos but we went in September, a couple of years ago, and if you are into early starts then it's fine. Plus the sea is like a warm bath 

OP steveoracle 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Sounds like an option, where do you fly to for Kalymnos?

Cheers,

Steve

Martin Haworth 11 Jul 2023
In reply to steveoracle: Verdon.

climberchristy 12 Jul 2023
In reply to steveoracle:

Kos. Then ferry to Kalymnos.

In reply to steveoracle:

Fly to Kos and get the ferry over from Mastichari - very straightforward 

In reply to steveoracle:

I’ve actually sport climbed in Catalunya in July! Ok it was quite warm but I seem to remember escaping the heat higher in the mountains 

Ciro 12 Jul 2023
In reply to steveoracle:

Rodellar starts to get good in September.

Neil Morrison 12 Jul 2023
In reply to steveoracle: Briancon area?

LakesWinter 12 Jul 2023

In reply to  Horseshoe Quarry???

LakesWinter 12 Jul 2023
In reply to steveoracle:

Yeah short haul flights destroying the planet so we can clip bolt yeah woohoo

In reply to LakesWinter:

> Yeah short haul flights destroying the planet so we can clip bolt yeah woohoo

Would you suggest somewhere further afield?

Mike Stretford 12 Jul 2023
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

I'd be looking at Portland or Gower for September!

LW's comments seem consistent with his profile age....

jezb1 12 Jul 2023
In reply to LakesWinter:

> Yeah short haul flights destroying the planet so we can clip bolt yeah woohoo

Is it ok to go to Chamonix in the summer? Asking for a friend.

gavjwp 12 Jul 2023
In reply to steveoracle:

Big advocate of the Asturias region in north Spain. Especially around Teverga. Unpolished and very well equipped. All styles, grades and uncrowded. Get the Rocaverda volume 3a guide. Stansted to Oviedo is a good flight. 

critter 12 Jul 2023
In reply to steveoracle:

Cavallers, Lleida?

Granite at 1600m

kevin stephens 12 Jul 2023
In reply to steveoracle:

Ceuse

LeeWood 13 Jul 2023
In reply to critter:

> Cavallers, Lleida?

> Granite at 1600m

I've just done 4 days at Cavallers - it's a paradise in the right conditions. Susceptible to afternoon thunderstorms or occasional strong N winds. Local valley crag options can help out.

LakesWinter 13 Jul 2023
In reply to jezb1:

No idea what that means?? Last time i went I drove but i'd get the train if i went again.

LeeWood 13 Jul 2023
In reply to LakesWinter:

what happened to the magic bus ??

Petrafied 13 Jul 2023
In reply to LakesWinter:

> No idea what that means?? Last time i went I drove but i'd get the train if i went again.

Yet you're encouraging others to travel to the Alps (you sure they're going to use the same magic portal you do?), clearly travel to the Highlands from Yorkshire sufficiently often to moderate crags there.  Are you sure your green credentials are really such that you can lecture others?  Why do you think you even have the right to do so?

Perhaps your carbon footprint is bigger with your seemingly endless trips away from Yorksire (your logbook *is* public, you know) to "try hard and do it" is comparable to those of people who perhaps make a single short haul flight per year.  Perhaps they make environmental sacrifices that make up for the occasional trip away.  Perhaps your environmentally friendly trips (how friendly can they be, one wonders) don't make up whatever other lifestyle choices you make.

I myself (after three years going no-where) hope to make a final trip to the Pyrenees, and will probably use a short haul flight before making my final contribution to the environmental cause.  If I'm up to it, then I'll probably fly.  Soz. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...