Snowdonia climbing with young children

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lhod 18 Jun 2023

Hi, we're staying in Llanberis in a few weeks time and hoping to get out climbing with our 2 & 4 year old. We've climbed a lot here over the years but not with kids, so it would be great to hear any recommendations of a suitable crag. Ideal criteria, which I doubt we'll achieve all of, would be:

- non-technical & fairly short walk in

- away from the honeypot areas

- single pitch slab, easy to set up TR

- safe crag environment at the base i.e. no cliff edges etc.

Thanks! 

Alex Riley 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Lhod:

Lion Rocks

Craig yr Undeb (Union Rock)

Both would suit your needs well by the sounds.

jezb1 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Lhod:

I wouldn't bother looking past Alex's suggestions. Both in beautiful spots looking up towards Yr Wyddfa etc, by the lake for swimming / paddling after, easy set ups. Have fun!

Mark Haward 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Lhod:

As Alex and Jez recommended. There are also some lovely boulders with chimneys and squeezes and general adventurous scrambling for little ones below the main crags.

OP Lhod 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Lhod:

Well that was easy! We didn't even get off topic 😂

Thanks very much all, looking forward to checking those options out. 

In reply to Lhod:

In south Snowdonia its hard to beat Barmouth Slabs. Better than the Llanberis crags imo, less likely to be hogged by groups and routes from diff to E1 if anyone needs a bit more of a challenges. A bit far if you're staying in the north though, which is what some people mean by Snowdonia. Mid way between the two there's Carreg yr Ogof as well which is worth a trip.

Brass Nipples 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Lhod:

Little Tryfan round in the Ogden valley is also another option.

Alex Riley 18 Jun 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Good venues, but perhaps not for a 2 year old

In reply to Alex Riley:

Beg to differ. The upper tiers at barmouth slabs (without recorded routes but well used by instructors for decades) are far better suited to toddlers than lion rock and union rock.

LastBoyScout 19 Jun 2023
In reply to Brass Nipples:

> Little Tryfan round in the Ogden valley is also another option.

I would have said that, as it's perfect, but it's also always packed.

LastBoyScout 19 Jun 2023
In reply to Lhod:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/y_pincin_the_pinnacles-11876/#maps

Over the back of Capel Curig - just be careful crossing the road. Car park, gear shop and café.

Only been there once as part of my SPA assessment, specifically for setting up top ropes.

jezb1 19 Jun 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Over the back of Capel Curig - just be careful crossing the road. Car park, gear shop and café.

> Only been there once as part of my SPA assessment, specifically for setting up top ropes.

Farmer can be a problem there, nice spot but I always think it’s not worth the hassle!

Offwidth 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Lhod:

Alex has the best suggestions and Barmouth Slabs are good.

There are also some lovely small slabs a few hundred metres west of Little Tryfan with some some simple crack lines.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...