Scugdale damage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Pozman 22 May 2023

Somebody's been up and smashed rocks all over the place. It must've seemed like a good idea  to crush sandstone and scatter it over a slab to make a slide. 

I bet they videoed themselves doing it. Such a thrill...

Rob Exile Ward 22 May 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

One of my favourite crags (Not that I get there often.) Any damage to any routes?

OP Pete Pozman 22 May 2023
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Couldn't see any but some bouldering might be affected. Just a bit of rock carnage at the base of the routes near Pingers.

OP Pete Pozman 22 May 2023
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

youtube.com/watch?v=zPcEtTgjmp8&

It's all the rage.

Rib1356 22 May 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I was up there last week and noticed it. Pretty disappointing, looks like theyve smashed a load of larger boulders up at the base of the crag or maybe chucked stuff off the top? Thankfully no damage to any of the routes there so will probably have a clean up of the broken stuff when im next there.

Mike Conlon 23 May 2023
In reply to Rib1356:

We are trying to identify when the damage was done and would appreciate if you could say when you first noticed it. Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike Conlon, BMB Access and Conservation Volunteer. 

OP Pete Pozman 23 May 2023
In reply to Mike Conlon:

I saw the damage yesterday: 22/05/2023. We were there from about 10:30. 

Rib1356 26 May 2023
In reply to Mike Conlon:

I was there on 18/05 from after 18:00

Andy Parkin 29 May 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman: Hi Pete, we were there today. 29th May.

The damage is actually quite bad, someone’s had a grand time!

The worst bit is probably Scugdale Buttress an its environs. The hanging block at the top of ‘Tooth and Nail’ HS 4c has been pushed clean off the top of the crag and now resides upside down at the base of the route. (I checked, unfortunately the culprit isn’t underneath it!). Other smaller boulders have been tossed from the top, marring some previously clear landing zones, then yes it would appear that they have then gone about smashing rocks like cavemen at the base of the crag. Could all be a solitary act by a bunch of bored teenagers but my fear would be that they return for more ‘playtime’. 

Graham Booth 29 May 2023
In reply to Andy Parkin:

They have made a right mess the morons,…wish I can seen them at it….

pebbles 29 May 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Absolutely moronic, and so much of it that I assume whoever did it has either  a very short memory or a very high boredom threshold.

"Ooh! Rock go smush!"

"Ooh! Rock go smush!"

Repeat till even the sheep have got bored and gone away.....

Post edited at 22:59
 climberchristy 30 May 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I was there yesterday 29th. I expected to be upset by the damage, having read your post previously. However, it was even worse than I feared. Some really sizeable stuff thrown down. An absolute mess. Utterly moronic. Yet another sad reflection of how the outdoor environment is getting sorely abused these days. Really saddens me.

Mike Conlon 30 May 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

The damage has been reported to both the National Park and the Police. As others have said, there is concern that whoever did it might return. There was a similar incident at Wainstones some years ago with a huge block used as an anchor somehow tipped off the top. The National Park Ranger has undertaken to inform the landowner and tenant farmer so that the climbing community doesn't get the blame and ruin the otherwise good relations enjoyed. (Heaven forbid it was "climbers" responsible).

We are trying to establish when the damage occurred, as original reports narrowed it down to a very tight window of opportunity. If true, this would provide incentive to the police to check cctv up the no through road in the dale. Subsequent reports including on here have suggested a bigger "window" which would significantly reduce the value of cctv, it is possible that the damage was committed over more than one episode. This of course assumes the culprits have arrived by car and not on foot or trials bike, etc, over the moor.

If anyone can accurately narrow down the time of the damage or offer any other information, please email me via here or direct message me, and I will pass it on.

A timely reminder for all lovers of Scugdale, about considerate parking, no litter, and all others aspects of respect for this much used venue is worth posting and asking everyone to pass the message on.

We will organise a workparty to clean up the mess at an appropriate time.

Mike Conlon,

BMC Access and Conservation Volunteer. 

climberchristy 30 May 2023
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Hi Mike,

If you can post on here when the date for a work party clear up is planned, I for one would be glad to help if I'm available. Thanks in avance for your good work in helping to address this issue.

Cheers, Christy 

pebbles 30 May 2023
In reply to climberchristy:

+1

Mike Conlon 30 May 2023
In reply to climberchristy:

Will do and thanks to you and Pebbles and anyone else who offers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...