Rope advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just a quick one. I am looking to buy a new rope and would like to pursue in using it for rock climbing, scrambling and mountaineering (potentially alpine stuff).

Is it good practice to buy a rope for climbing and another for mountaineering or will a 10mm dynamic rope be suitable for both if it's dry treated. What do people go for when it comes to buying ropes?

DaveHK 22 Jun 2022
In reply to SandstoneYorkie22:

It's absolutely possible to use one rope for all those activities but it would be a compromise and many climbers would choose to have different ropes. If you're on a budget though you can get by with one rope. If I had to do that I'd go for a lighter single rope so maybe something around 9mm like a Beal Joker rather than 10mm.

It depends on exactly what you're doing though.

Post edited at 21:16
In reply to DaveHK:

The Beal Joker looks like it could be what I'm after then! Are there any good deals on it or a similar brand. 

I was thinking on getting 60/70m to cover most things I'll need it for

Post edited at 21:41
 Mark Haward 22 Jun 2022

What sort of rock climbing / where are you thinking of climbing as this may affect rope choice? What mountaineering / alpine stuff are you thinking of?

Michael Gordon 22 Jun 2022

If just easy mountaineering and you don't need it for sport climbing, 60/70m sounds like a bit much? 

Rick climbing from anywhere around North Yorkshire to the Lake District/Wales/Scotland

Mountaineering in the alps and summiting some 3000m peaks to start with not via the normal paths so I was thinking I might need the extra length in case of rappelling

Mark Haward 23 Jun 2022

From what you have described so far a 50 metre rope should fit the bill. Very few trad rock climbing routes in the UK need a longer rope. A single rope should be fine for many alpine classic routes.  A triple rated rope may give more flexibility for the future - you could pair it with another rope for more technical routes if required - but also tend to be more expensive, less hard wearing and thinner to handle which may not be ideal for you. You may not need dry treated at this stage which will save you some money, but if spending time on snow and ice on the alpine routes you choose then dry treated would be worth it.

There are often great rope deals. Look out for Decathlon, Bananafingers, Go Outdoors, Dick's. I'm sure some others will reply soon with good sources for suitable ropes...

Michael Gordon 23 Jun 2022

> Mountaineering in the alps and summiting some 3000m peaks to start with not via the normal paths so I was thinking I might need the extra length in case of rappelling

The way I would look at it is 60m will only get you 5m more for abseiling, and be overkill for most of your uses, 70m even more so. As Mark says, if you got a thin single then for more technical objectives get your mate to bring the same or a 50m half and you'll be sorted.

Babika 23 Jun 2022

Another vote for a 50m as a general all purpose. 

wbo2 23 Jun 2022

I'm saying 60 as you decide to do some sport climbing the extra 10 metres makes a difference. But a sport climbing rope has different requirements to a mountaineering rope so maybe that's the point you're pushed towards two ropes

Thanks everyone for your replies they’ve been really helpful.

Would this rope be a good choice? It’s of similar specifications to the Beal Joker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...