Rocks falling in Woodcroft

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LaurentZ 29 Aug 2022

Was climbing in Woodcroft over the weekend climbing the lower routes. There was the sound of rocks falling on a regular interval caused by the teams climbing the routes on the higher levels. Some of the rocks sounded like they were rather big. 

At one point I told them to be careful because there were people climbing below them. Their response was that we had to read the guidebook because it says to "watch where you walk".

These people are a danger to others in the area and acted totally irresponsible. They misunderstood completely what the guidebook means by watch were you walk. 

Please be careful not to accidentally kill someone by belaying and/or climbing the higher elevations in Woodcroft. 

Mick Ward 29 Aug 2022
In reply to LaurentZ:

> These people are a danger to others in the area and acted totally irresponsible.

Totally agree. They shouldn't be climbing. 

Mick 

bpmclimb 29 Aug 2022
In reply to LaurentZ:

You may well be right that they were being very irresponsible, but it's a question of degree. It's perhaps a little unrealistic to expect nothing at all coming down - it's very easy to dislodge small stones while traversing those ledges, even when being careful, especially that bit where the handrail rope is in place. Were you wearing helmets down there? I ask because a lot of climbers don't - because they're in "sport mode" perhaps?

OP LaurentZ 29 Aug 2022
In reply to bpmclimb:

When a rock falls, we generally shout a warning. We were quite safe where we were climbing.

Annabel Tall 29 Aug 2022
In reply to LaurentZ:

Rocks / loose choss fall off cliffs while people climb. Particularly on this crag where there’s lots of loose stuff everywhere. 

If there’s someone climbing high, don’t don’t go below them. 

By the same token if there’s someone climbing on the lower levels don’t go up above them and start.

If they’re on the top don’t go on the bottom. If they’re on the bottom don’t go on the top. 

OP LaurentZ 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Annabel Tall:

No, first and foremost you try not to dislodge rocks. If you do, you shout "Rock", because we all know, accidents happen. There isn't just climbing on the lower level, there is a path there as well. A rock on your head can kill, even when wearing a helmet. 

tehmarks 29 Aug 2022
In reply to LaurentZ:

They sound like prats - but in fairness I think everyone needs to have their wits about them. It's a quarry, and a quarry where it's almost inevitable that there's someone climbing above you if you're on the lower tier under the upper tier routes. It's all well and good trying not to pull things off and shouting 'rock!' when you do - but it's not hard to imagine where someone pulls off a hold/block/whatever and takes an unexpected whipper. I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't be able to  guarantee I'd be shouting anything if I'm suddenly somersaulting backwards through the air. And some of the routes on the upper tier (the two easy ones particularly) seem to be glued together partially with mud and magic. If someone is on one of those routes, I'd just stay well clear. In fact, if someone is climbing above me on the upper tier, I'd probably stay away regardless of the route they're on. It's just common sense.

Not that that excuses what, on the face of it, seems a bizarre approach to loose rock and a blatant disregard for other people. 'Check the guidebook'? What? How's that going to make anyone any more able to dodge falling choss?

Annabel Tall 29 Aug 2022
In reply to LaurentZ:

I doubt they were dislodging rocks deliberately - were they??  This crag is notorious for loose rocks and choss. It’s easy to dislodge stuff without knowing. Generally don’t climb or walk under other climbers and don’t start climbing above other people - anywhere outside. If there are already parties above or below where you want to climb keep safe and either go on another route or come back another time.   

If they set off right above you then kicked a load of stuff down on you then I get the point. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...