rock fall at symonds yat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JulioFranco 09 Aug 2023

Yesterday evening a large rockfall was reported to the land owner (Forestry England). The rather large boulders rolled down all the way to the hotel causing some damage.

Following a phone conversation to one of the Forestry England team, it has been decided that the entire crag is out of action while some inspections take place. Other suspicious boulders have been identified.

I will keep reporting as the work progresses and I will be updating the RAD too.

Many thanks

Mark Morris 09 Aug 2023
In reply to JulioFranco:

Hollow Rocks is big area, but since I've been climbing I've noticed the cracks like Beeline widening. So its no surprise. That the lumps were big enough to take away the netting below is a worry though.

In reply to Mark Morris:

The rock catch fences will have been designed to withstand a given energy.  If the blocks were larger than assumed at design, which appears to the case, they will fail.

PaulJepson 10 Aug 2023
In reply to HighChilternRidge:

Elementary, my dear.

In reply to PaulJepson:

Very true.  An old colleague designed those barriers, out of curiosity I may see if he can remember the basis of the design   

ali_colquhoun 10 Aug 2023
In reply to JulioFranco:

Had a look, wiped out Trundlebum Rex, maybe 3m wide gone.

Unfortunately no nice new route possibilities, just a sort of lumpy shoulder

Thats incorrect Julio, its Yat Chimney and the rock to its immediate right. It is surprising clean as both sides of this rock were shallow chimneys that finished half way up the cliff. It is perhaps not surprising as the roots were enormous and on reflection forcing the rock off the main wall. It certainly isn't climbing related and although its in the guide I haven't seen anybody climb it since I did it 20 years ago. We've inspected it at Yatfest over the years along with the other routes and I've never had any concerns raised to me. It certainly wasn't preventable and should be considered as natural movement. It has not affected any of the routes to the left or right but there is a huge amount of debris on the path below which should be avoided for the time being. 

Offwidth 11 Aug 2023
In reply to Graham 'Sven' Hassall:

What's incorrect? Julio's post seems totally consistent with your extra detail??

In reply to Graham 'Sven' Hassall:

Just wanted to say I love your username. Fond memories of reading hassell’s work as a young lad. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...