Reusing / Recycling old gear to benefit others?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 heleno 25 Jun 2023

We have a lot of old gear which we'd like to clear out, especially ropes and rock shoes.  Ideally we'd like to donate it in a way which benefits others. 

For clothing and shoes I've seen suggestions for e.g. uni clubs or scout groups.  However, can they use very worn out gear (e.g. rockshoes with holes in the toes)?

For ropes etc, I'm aware of upcycling companies such as Dirtbags and Scavenger.  While they're vastly preferable to landfill, it would be great if there was a similar organisation that donates profits to those in need - does anyone know of one?

(P.S.  I've done a search of the forums and I know similar questions have been asked before - but still worth asking in case there are new ideas or developments!)

Post edited at 12:37
 Rick Graham 25 Jun 2023
In reply to heleno:

When I moved house , I sold old ropes on to a business advertising for such on here  to make rope mats.

Donated the proceeds to bolt funds.

Edit. The charity shops in keswick , ulverston and ambleside probably kendal, often have outdoor gear on offer.

Post edited at 13:01
 johnlc 25 Jun 2023
In reply to heleno:

Alpkit have their Continuum Project in all their stores - you dump the stuff and they put it to the best use they can.

Fraser 25 Jun 2023
In reply to heleno:

Have you checked out the organisation below?

https://www.urbanuprising.org/about

Indignancy 26 Jun 2023
In reply to heleno:

If it helps I highly doubt the upcycling companies are making enough profit that it would make any difference, it’s not a business you get into for the cash…

OP heleno 27 Jun 2023
In reply to heleno:

Thanks so much everyone, some really useful suggestions there! 

🙂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...