Pat Littlejohn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

When is someone going to write a biography of Pat Littlejohn? I think it's absence is a huge gap in UK climbing literature.

remus Global Crag Moderator 21 Dec 2023
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Need to wait for him to slow down a bit first!

Ramon Marin 21 Dec 2023

Exactly!! 

Climbandwine 22 Dec 2023

Listening to an episode of the Jam Crack podcast recently I was thinking how good it would be to hear a chat with Pat Littlejohn.

Post edited at 11:20
 Moacs 22 Dec 2023

I met Pat once in around 1986.  Lovely bloke.  Forearms like thighs,

I went to his Lleyn chat at the Brenin a few weeks ago. It's mind boggling how he casually abs into a 300ft unclimbed cliff and sets off (on sight) to see what he can see. At least one of those expeditions resulted in a 3 pitch E5. It takes a special mindset to do that, and a sturdy partner too.

Alex Riley 23 Dec 2023
In reply to Frank the Husky:

A very good climber mentioned to me the other day that he thought Pat was/is probably the best trad climber in the world.

Post edited at 16:32
 Dawes of Time 23 Dec 2023
In reply to Alex Riley:

You can't say that and not name them! 

pamph 02 Jan 2024

I was extremely lucky to have a few days with Pat in the mid eighties when he was offering short guided trips to Cornwall.  The other potential customer didn't turn up, so it was me and him for four days.  The weather was pretty crap, but I have great memories of following him up an E1 in the rain on the first day, which he lead effortlessly. The trip culminated in him leading a new E4 on Lower Sharpnose which he sportingly included me as part of the first ascent, despite me having to be winched up! A lovely guy, modest and unassuming, but obviously one of the all-time greats, so I agree that a biography is long overdue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...