Non-seeping crags in South West

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oceanwaves742 19 Oct 2023

Hi all,

With the awful weather until Saturday and good weather on Sunday does anyone have any recommendations for crags in the South West (Wye Valley, Cheddar, Brean, Portland) which will be dry enough to be climbable and won't be seeping too much.

Any kind of climbing/crag is acceptable, let me know your recommendations

beardy mike 19 Oct 2023
In reply to oceanwaves742:

Avon gorge. Drys out as fast as a carcass in a crematorium.

Climber_Bill 19 Oct 2023

The Cuttings on Portland is often a good choice after a lot of rain.

OP oceanwaves742 19 Oct 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

Didn't realise it would be good considering it's limestone!

OP oceanwaves742 19 Oct 2023
In reply to Climber_Bill:

The Bouldering or Sport?

laughitup 19 Oct 2023
 alan moore 19 Oct 2023

Avon is fastest with Wintours not far behind.

In reply to beardy mike:

> Avon gorge. Drys out as fast as a carcass in a crematorium.

That’s a rather nasty metaphor but perhaps a good epithet for the charmless Avon Gorge, which I never liked. ‘A carcass in a crematorium’!

Climber_Bill 19 Oct 2023

The sport definitely and the bouldering as well, so I'm informed.

The Cuttings sport routes will seep eventually, but they were very dry last weekend and will probably be dry on Sunday. I'm hoping so anyway.

wiwwim 19 Oct 2023
In reply to Climber_Bill:

ive found some pathways down to the west side of portland to be very precarious/slippery in wet weather.  

Mark Kemball 19 Oct 2023

Further afield (i.e. proper SW) there’s not a lot of seepage on most of the Culm and it usually dries quickly. Vicarage (up to HVS), or Lower Sharpnose (HVS+) would be good. 

Climber_Bill 19 Oct 2023
In reply to wiwwim:

The Cuttings sport climbing crag is on the east coast and the paths to The Cuttings are all fairly flat, unlike the west coast.

That is why I suggested The Cuttings to the OP and not a crag on the west coast.

beardy mike 19 Oct 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I was trying to think of something which conveyed a certain efficiency and my brain was somewhat half awake. I take your point though. And the gorge is definitely not to everybody's taste, but in the depths of winter when all else is wet, it dries out quickly and stays vaguely warm, unlike for example which is like standing in the path of a snow cannon some days, with a constant gale and moisture blasting you. 

Chris Ebbutt 19 Oct 2023

Hi

Daddyhole Upper Cliff

The main East Face and the routes on both sides of the Monolith stay dry in most conditions and dry very quickly after rain. Very sheltered from prevailing SW winds.

Chris

bpmclimb 20 Oct 2023

Wynd Cliff main, LH crag, R wing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...