New Hong Kong Guide Book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 03 Dec 2020

Francis Haden has just published a sport climbing guide to Hong Kong, which has over 1000 routes of all grades and reinforces Hong Kong as the premier climbing destination in Asia.  As travel opens again its now a must go to location. World class sport and everything else that Hong Kong has to offer. 

ClimberEd 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Removed UserTonyWoodHK:

Is Stuart still climbing a lot there? 

I remember the mid 2000s when he was developing a lot and the scene revolved around Rockys bouldering place in Wan Chai. Good times.

galpinos 03 Dec 2020
In reply to ClimberEd:

I believe he is. Still posts on UKB and was recently asking for advice of guidebook layouts/design. Not sure if it's the same guide though!

StuartM 03 Dec 2020
In reply to ClimberEd:

Hey Ed

I'm still around. Stopped climbing for about 4-5 years (went surfing and wake boarding instead) but got back in the game about 18 mths ago and the psyche is back to all time highs.

After developing a few new sport crags last winter (Mount Parker, Tates Cairn), trad crags this summer (Tat Hong on Tung Lung - brutal in HK heat), i've switched back to pebble wrestling and am working on an update to the bouldering guidebook (the last one I published was 2004 so a bit dated now - and long out of print too) 

Hope you're all good

Stu

fred99 03 Dec 2020

> Francis Haden has just published a sport climbing guide to Hong Kong, .....  As travel opens again its now a must go to location....

With the political climate in Hong Kong being what it is, and the "influence" of mainland China over the police/courts, is it necessarily safe for foreigners, particularly from Britain ?

I can think of a lot of places that are a lot safer.

gravy 03 Dec 2020

_the_ premier climbing destination in Asia?

I don't think so! not even remotely near.

Removed User 03 Dec 2020

Hong Kong is surely way down anyone's 'must go' list at the moment!

ClimberEd 03 Dec 2020
In reply to StuartM:

Good to hear!

I remember when that first bouldering guide came out.  Time for me to get back on the rock with a bit of increased fitness I think.

ClimberEd 03 Dec 2020
In reply to gravy:

The climbing there is very good at the right time of year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...