New forum suggestion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 05 Sep 2023

No idea which forum this should go in but can I suggest a new Wildlife forum. There seem to be countless threads of late that include non-gallery photos and discussions of wildlife (90% of birds). 

Not everyone is interested in these so it would be useful to UKC users if they (we) could switch off this forum in their (our) preferences, whilst still allowing those who are interested in such matters to see and discuss these threads.

We already have Running, Biking, Skiing and Politics forums so having a 'Wildlife' one doesn't seem unreasonable. Any chance?

65 05 Sep 2023
In reply to Fraser:

Seconded. A Venn diagram of walkers/climbers and birders/wildlife twitchers would have significant overlap, certainly among many that I know.

Post edited at 22:01
 veteye 06 Sep 2023
In reply to 65:

Hear Hear!!!

"Dem Boids!

Dem Boids!

Hoo-ray!"

jimtitt 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Fraser:

The downside is the casual non-birder like myself wouldn't follow the forum and would miss the occasional post that might interest us.

Iamgregp 06 Sep 2023
In reply to jimtitt:

Then erm... follow it?

ericinbristol 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Fraser:

Love that suggestion

alx 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Fraser:

Finally a place I can post sightings of a pissed Niall Grimes cycling hands free outside of Lidl or Ben Moon wearing a medium sized item of clothing!

jonfun21 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Fraser:

Given bird bias we could call it Twitter since that is no longer in use as a name

Michael Hood 07 Sep 2023
In reply to jonfun21:

I think the bird bias (generally not just on UKC threads) is simply because:

1. We see more of them than mammals, reptiles, amphibians, etc
  2. They're easier to see and be able to identify than insects, spiders, snails, etc

Great idea about the name though and appropriate for the subject because birders do tend to rabbit on a bit 😁

Doug 07 Sep 2023
In reply to Fraser:

What does 'wildlife' cover ? For many it seems just to be animals, maybe only vertebrates, but there are many threads about 'nature' which are more about the flora or the ecology of the hills rather than "just birds".

OP Fraser 07 Sep 2023
In reply to Doug:

Fair point, 'Wildlife' was really just the first possible heading that sprang to mind. The suggestion was prompted by the many bird photo/discussion threads I feel I've seen over the past few months.

Rob Parsons 07 Sep 2023
In reply to Doug:

> What does 'wildlife' cover ? For many it seems just to be animals, maybe only vertebrates, but there are many threads about 'nature' which are more about the flora or the ecology of the hills rather than "just birds".

Wildlife would/should cover all of nature.

Regarding wildlife animal posts, it's probably inevitable that birds feature most prominently since - as has been mentioned - among native animals, they're the ones which we most commonly see.

Feel free to (continue to) post anything of interest.

FactorXXX 07 Sep 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Wildlife would/should cover all of nature.

How about 'Flora & Fauna'?

In reply to Fraser:

We understand there is an argument for the new forum, however we are conscious it could lead to lots more being suggested. Ideally we'd like to keep the number of forums to a minimum, as there are already quite a few

We will be discussing how best to approach this problem though.

Kemics 07 Sep 2023
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

In terms of posts I wouldn't be surprised if it got significantly more than the sub forums of skiing or culture bunker ... possibly combined? 

OP Fraser 07 Sep 2023

> Ideally we'd like to keep the number of forums to a minimum, as there are already quite a few

I thought that might be the case. It would be interesting to know the viewing and responding traffic for the various forums already in existence, just out of curiosity. I know I have some of them switched off but I wonder how many others do too.

Do you think having another forum would further dilute the viewer numbers / interaction levels / advertising income or just be additional administration hassle to monitor and moderate?

Derry 07 Sep 2023
In reply to Fraser:

ha, I always click on these posts, so much so that I just assumed there was already one. Looking back most of these come from Off Belay. Who knew? obviously you!

Iamgregp 07 Sep 2023

See where you’re coming from, but if it was me I’d drop the “starting out” forum in favour of this.

It doesn’t get a lot of activity, anything posted in it can also be applied to one of the other forums, and it makes it easy for experienced climbers to ignore not follow it and not see posts from beginners, which is kind of the opposite of what you want really…

Also, rejecting something that’s a good idea because it’s a good idea, and that may encourage more ideas is a kind of a weird position no?

Post edited at 15:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...