Is anywhere dry?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TomAlford 11 Feb 2020

Bloody British weather. 

I've just finished my masters, and as a result in the weakest, most cowardly state of my climbing life. The antidote is a week or two of as much trad as I can physically fit in. The country is my oyster. 

Where, if anywhere, will be decently dry in the near future? 

Jon Stewart 11 Feb 2020
In reply to TomAlford:

If you don't mind the freezing cold, and like short outcrop climbing, then Peak grit is generally very quick drying.

But if had some reason to do trad in the middle of winter, I'd probably head to Cornwall as the climbing is excellent, not all of it is continually getting smashed to smithereens by the Atlantic (but most of it is), and it's likely to be a bit warmer down there. I've heard that you can climb at Swanage in winter too, but given how crap it is in summer, it wouldn't be my choice. 

Dave Garnett 11 Feb 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> If you don't mind the freezing cold, and like short outcrop climbing, then Peak grit is generally very quick drying.

Although currently covered in snow.

kylos8048 11 Feb 2020
In reply to TomAlford:

Best bet is booking a cheap flight to spain. Uk is wet cold and miserable atm. 

Jon Stewart 11 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Although currently covered in snow.

Oh dear.

OP TomAlford 11 Feb 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Yeah the Swanage crags are my local crags, unfortunately they seep quite badly and hold moisture. Cornwall is a great shout though, the granite should be ok after all this rain. 

scott titt 11 Feb 2020
In reply to TomAlford:

> Yeah the Swanage crags are my local crags, unfortunately they seep quite badly and hold moisture. 

Not in my experience. 

The trad crags at Swanage dry very quickly, and have very little seepage. If the sun is shining and the wind has some north in it they will be great. I have already climbed at Swanage in my t-shirt on four days this year.

cheese@4p 11 Feb 2020
In reply to scott titt:

Even our local indoor venue is closed due to flooding. Rokt in Brighouse.

Talk about rained off!

OP TomAlford 11 Feb 2020
In reply to scott titt:

Hi Scott! I've met you down at sub a few times, glad to hear you've gotten out!

PaulJepson 11 Feb 2020
In reply to TomAlford:

How weak and how scared? Avon would be good for the former but not so much the latter....

Trangia 11 Feb 2020
In reply to kylos8048:

Plus 1 for Spain, or if you can afford the air fare, South Africa. Loads of quality multi pitch  trad at all grades around Cape Town. 

jayjackson 11 Feb 2020
In reply to TomAlford:

It’s warm and nice in El Chorro at the moment. If you can travel at odd times you may get flights for less than the price of driving around the UK

cragtyke 11 Feb 2020
In reply to TomAlford:

> Cornwall is a great shout though, the granite should be ok after all this rain. 

Good luck there next weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...