Impossible Wall Crag Lough ( E4 6b)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Allovesclimbin 06 Aug 2022

Evening all.

After some thought I decided to put this out to the UKC crowd. 
I have tried and failed to lead this route on several occasions, although regularly climb at The Lough and Peel Crag across the grades . I have seen friends climbing at around E6 fail and have not met anyone who has climbed this route ( as opposed frig it or top rope it on a tight rope ) . I have climbed plenty at equivalent grades across the UK and abroad , so would be interested to hear from another local enthusiast who has lead this …… thanks . I love The Lough and consider it’s E3’s some of the best , it’s HVS routes basically great 30m E1’s , and have had a love affair with the place for over 30 years . Be great to hear from the talented who have done this route on lead. 

Dan Arkle 07 Aug 2022
In reply to Allovesclimbin:

I have also failed on this.

6b is always hard for me so I can't really comment on the grade. 

J B Oughton 08 Aug 2022

I went for a look at this once as I happened to be at the crag and fancied a challenge. Only made it a few meters up before backing off, pretty confident that the climbing above looked more difficult and much less well protected than the E4 6b grade suggests! Obviously the county has a reputation for stiff grading but unless the line is less direct that suggested in the topo I can't really see how it could be climbed at that grade. I onsight E4s and E5s fairly regularly but there was no chance I was committing to that route ground-up. Would love to hear from someone who had done it recently though.

In reply to J B Oughton:

Absolutely! My thoughts exactly. I think it’s a case of ‘ historical grading’ . If you stick to the line , it’s nails ! I haven’t seen anyone do it and couldn’t myself when I was on sighting E5’s. 

Michael Hood 09 Aug 2022

Maybe the clue's in the name 😁

Have you top-roped it or are you still trying to climb it ground-up?

The log (as I'm sure you're aware) isn't very helpful, and Steve Crowe taking a fall on it in the 90s does hint at it maybe being a sandbag at that grade.

In reply to Michael Hood:

I will try a top rope on it after cleaning at some stage. 
I should add I have been reminded I do know someone who has done it , who is a friend and local but some time ago and he climbs , not surprisingly, harder than me! ( and he took a fall!) 

Post edited at 23:05
 rka 10 Aug 2022

Its a Jeff Lamb route from a time early 70's when he thought he couldnt climb harder than E4.

Nae Nut key 12 Aug 2022

Steve Carruthers led it in the early 80's. He climbed mainly south lakes. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...