How much does going to a city for a few days cost ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 24 Aug 2023

Let’s say any European city to attend an event . Could be some kind of oompetion  . You know well in advance so can book easyJet or sone other low cost flight . Twin room in a mid price or budget hotel . Share the room with another competitor  or , if you under 18 , a parent or guardian . Again booked well in advance . Get around by public transport . Eat mid price , no Maccy d s . Arrive two or three  days before competition , leave day after . If I gave you a grant of £1000 towards your costs would you be happy With that ?

Pedro50 24 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123:

Yes seems reasonable.

OP mike123 24 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123: if anybody is bored I ve just made up a challenge for my kids : Grenoble . Event is 23rd nov 2023 . Arrive 20 th leave 24th . Sone kind of travel pass for the 4 days . 

Edit : from Nottingham .

Post edited at 10:16
 wbo2 24 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123: Seems reasonable if it's a mid sized city with a small to mid sized event.  If however all the rooms are already block booked then the hotel can get very pricey.

Well in advance can mean a year for some combinations

jkarran 24 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123:

Depends on the event date and location but right ballpark, maybe a bit tight for 4 days, 3 nights, flights, hotel, transports, and cafe/restaurant food for 2 people. Stuff got expensive.

I'd guess at:

• 2x £100 flights
  • 3x £150 room
  • 4 x 2 x £50 cafe/cakeshop breakfast, shop snack + modest dinner out
  • 4 x 2 x £5 travel foot + tram/bus pass
  • 1x £15 insurance

~£1200 so £1k is probably possible with frugal choices, especially if you neglect UK parking/transfers or have drop off options.

jk

Post edited at 16:44
 minimike 24 Aug 2023
In reply to jkarran:

I usually reckon on £2k for a 3-4 day conference for work. But that’s usually a major city and a relatively central location with a cheap hotel room to myself. So 1k looks either fine, or a bit tight, depending on the city basically. Budapest? Fine. Geneva? Not so much..

The New NickB 24 Aug 2023
In reply to minimike:

I bet Budapest is more expensive at the moment, with a big event on.

minimike 24 Aug 2023
In reply to The New NickB:

He said ‘well in advance’ 😉

MG 24 Aug 2023
In reply to jkarran:

> 3x £150 room

That seems a lot, and if sharing a room super luxury!!

jkarran 24 Aug 2023
In reply to MG:

> That seems a lot, and if sharing a room super luxury!!

Maybe but that's the sort of baseline price I've seen for anything hotel ish the last two holidays I've booked (Scotland and Ireland)

jk

MG 24 Aug 2023
In reply to jkarran:

Hmm. I was getting £75/night in Germany and Italy in the summer.  Switzerland £300  - I didn't stay there!!

The New NickB 24 Aug 2023
In reply to minimike:

> He said ‘well in advance’ 😉

In reality, 3 months in advance. The issue is that the event, or another big event happening at the same time, can make cities much more expensive than they usually are. Well in advance will mitigate some of that, but 3 months in advance probably won’t.

McHeath 24 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123:

https://fr.airbnb.com/rooms/52716948?adults=2&check_in=2023-11-20&c...

248 euros for 4 nights in Grenoble for those dates ...

Godwin 24 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123:

Youngsters would be best looking at Hostels. Miles cheaper, loads of young people, and can do some self catering.

We just spent a couple of nights in Paris, £60 to £100 a night, digs, beers and some museums should kill it.

Michael Gordon 24 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123:

> If I gave you a grant of £1000 towards your costs would you be happy With that ?

Sounds good. Do I have to put it towards a city break?

ExiledScot 24 Aug 2023
In reply to The New NickB:

> In reality, 3 months in advance. 

Advanced to me is 364 days, as soon as booking website calendar allows, or event details are announced. If you wait then you'll always pay more, seems places would rather run half full than sell off rooms cheap at the last minute.

Edit, for some cities football fixtures are enough to put loads on the price of rooms.  Although even Kendal MFF has grown so much accommodation there is a problem too for visitors. 

Post edited at 21:09
 The New NickB 25 Aug 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

I agree in this context. Which is why I was pointing out that 3 months isn’t really that long in advance.

OP mike123 25 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123: thanks all . I was thinking  about how a national team in a small niche sport ( let’s say curling or darts ) might best fund sending competitors to foreign competitions . Let’s say they have a budget of £200,000 for this . Each competitor is given a grant of £1000 for attending a competion within Europe , equates to 200 places . 20 x 10 or 10 x 20 or 40  x 5 .  On top of that a freelance admin person , no idea on this but  guessing 30 days at £300 a day should cover it along with something for their expenses . I suppose if they then need to go to international comps ( rather than Europe ) the costs spiral .

In reply to mike123:

> let’s say curling or darts 

Or climbing, perhaps...?

ExiledScot 25 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123:

£1000/head grant is an inefficient way to do it. The coach or admin assistant block books all accommodation, travel, car hire for the group. It'll be way cheaper than done individually. Also style will vary according to country: hotel, hostel, house hire etc..depending on the sport, you could for example pay more for accommodation right next to the event and public / event transport, removing the need for van hire. Or the opposite. Catering, book somewhere with a small kitchen and save loads on restuarant bills. ... it simply needs an organised manager. 

Edit. Many events have local affiliations so you can obtain specific discounts for certain hotels, van hire etc. Done in return for adverts within said sporting event. Again a good manager will know these already, as it'll be in event information. 

Post edited at 09:37
OP mike123 25 Aug 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

……it simply needs an organised manager

Would it not appear that  there is no simply about it ?  

J72 25 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123:

I assumed this was BMC controversy related tbh! 

ianstevens 25 Aug 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

> > let’s say curling or darts 

> Or climbing, perhaps...?

I mean this has to the one of the least subtle posts of all time, and for no apparent reason. Just discuss how much you think it costs to send athletes to comps. It's definitely more than £1k. Flights tend to have to be on specific dates - yes, you *can* get a flight for £20 to most European cities on random days, but if you want to travel at a specific time it's often nearer £200 unless you are lucky. Sharing rooms obviously makes sense, but you are hardly going to have your best nights sleep, food and subsequent competition performance if you stay in some shittip. 

Post edited at 13:39
OP mike123 26 Aug 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

> I mean this has to the one of the least subtle posts of all time,

of all time ? Really ? Do the initials JCT mean nothing ?

>and for no apparent reason

GB climbing has haemorrhaged  money that IMHO shoukd have been spent on something else.

Do I think that the BMC should contribute something  to send a team to international comps ? I’m not sure . But if it does then how much do I think is reasonable ? As has been said above giving athletes a grant , and here in lies the rub , “ towards “ their costs is not the most efficient way to go about this but if the bmc aren’t capable of administering this how would you suggest the athletes are given some  help ? I would suggest that     a grant of £1000 would be ,  how to put this , £1000 better than f all .

ExiledScot 26 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123:

It's incompetence. 

https://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/world-competition/calendar

Follow the Koper link for next month, click the 'info' pdf, travel details, accommodation booking agency, local transport, it's on a plate for everyone but a buffoon to travel and stay there efficiently and as modestly as their budget requires. 

mondite 26 Aug 2023
In reply to Godwin:

> Youngsters would be best looking at Hostels. Miles cheaper, loads of young people, and can do some self catering.

Depends what your objectives are really.

When I was a youngster (just last year honest) I did stay in a hostel  with mates for a competition or two.

Great fun and the disadvantage of some git snoring (obviously not me) was outweighed by the disadvantage of the healthy diet of beer.

If I was competing seriously though I would want a nice quiet room to myself. At the risk of sounding bitter the winner of those competitions I was in clearly didnt partake in the social activities the night before.

Godwin 27 Aug 2023
In reply to mondite:

Silicone earplugs and an eye mask are the way ahead.

TBH when I posted, I did not realise this was a BMC thread

Michael Gordon 27 Aug 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Yes, he seemed to be suggesting his kids were competing, which didn't seem implausible on a climbing website.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...