Hay fever and climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shaunhumphreys 07 Jul 2023

Curious as to wether anyone experiences this the same as me…

I suffer from hay fever around this time of year, tends to manifest in a runny nose, lots of sneezing, all the classic symptoms. It can feel pretty hard work whilst out at the crag sometimes…

Rather oddly though as soon as I start climbing all symptoms totally disappear without fail. Even whilst just working routes where you are quite often just sat on the rope.

Wondering if anyone else experiences this the same or if anyone knows the potential mechanisms behind it?

Rhaegalex 07 Jul 2023
In reply to shaunhumphreys:

I get the same, sneezing all the time at the base of the crag and at belays, but fine while climbing. Swanage at the start of June this year was bad enough to break this trend for me tho.

Post edited at 22:56
 AlanLittle 07 Jul 2023

Usually like that for me, but not always if it's a really bad day.

jonny taylor 07 Jul 2023

The fear?

Sealwife 07 Jul 2023

I wonder if adrenaline has something to do with it?

Dave Cross 08 Jul 2023

Yes, I have been wondering about this for years. I don't have really bad hay-fever, and antihistamines deal with the worst symptoms, but the same happens to me. Watering eyes and snot, then I climb and it all clears up, then when my feet touch the ground, I start sneezing immediately. It's even the same when I'm equipping. I can be on a rope for hours without symptoms, not stressed or scared or anything, and then when my feet touch the ground, I start again. I'm guessing it's something to do with adrenaline? That means even when your not scared, adrenaline must be pumping round your body/brain a bit. We should patent it as hay-fever medication before big pharma get their teeth into it. 

heleno 08 Jul 2023

Yes, my partner is the same. I've always assumed adrenaline or cortisol suppresses the reaction. 

The downside for me is that he makes up for it by sneezing non-stop when he's belaying me! 

Umfana 08 Jul 2023

Adrenaline.

It is well established. For very severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) a shot of adrenaline is a treatment.

It opens airways, changes circulation and inhibits histamine.

For me the hayfever comes crashing back pretty fast after the adrenaline inducing activity stops. Solution is to chase more adrenaline.

ChrisBrooke 08 Jul 2023
In reply to Umfana

> For me the hayfever comes crashing back pretty fast after the adrenaline inducing activity stops. Solution is to chase more adrenaline.

That’s why Bodhi in Point Break never had a runny nose. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...