Gurnards Head

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 17 Aug 2023

In my and my climbing partners eagerness to get onto Right Angle, we ended up starting a bit lower and left of the normal start (found out in hindsight). What we managed to do, is traverse under the first pitch of RA, drop down into the zawn, traverse to the base of it and then climb out of there, meeting up with the first pitch belay and climbing out.. All great fun and probably about the same grade. Certainly knew we were off route mid 2nd pitch, but just carried on as the position was pretty amazing. Does anyone know if this is an established line? We did find some traces of chalk around (which added to our confusion) so not sure. Great adventure nonetheless. If not I'll put it up as a new route with a topo on the logbooks (as can't post photo's on here).

Thanks

Tom Last 17 Aug 2023
In reply to Derry:

Part of Over the Ocean by the sound of it. Good adventure no doubt! 

iani 18 Aug 2023
In reply to Derry:

Many years ago a friend of mine - henceforth known as Frogman Dave, fell off the traverse at the start of the second pitch and his belayer dropped him into the sea - I was following with my brother and I can vividly remember the waves around Dave, who was able to stand on the seabed. Dave then managed to climb back up from sea level straight back up to the route, so alas you are not able to claim that part as a first ascent! 

OP Derry 18 Aug 2023
In reply to iani:

Wow. now thats a good recovery. It's actually a lovely climb out of there, and directly up from the belay is nice straightforward slab climbing. 

Iain Peters 26 Aug 2023
In reply to Derry:

I'm pretty sure that the low, middle and top of the RA wall have all been climbed before. The sea traverse in is good fun as is heading up and right above the overlap on the 2nd pitch which I soloed a while back. I'm still crazy after all these years, as the song goes, and looking forward to the 60th ascent  in 2026. If you haven't seen it here is a link to a fun video from Bald Eagle Productions in 2016 when we aimed to get 50 people up the route on the 50th anniversary of the FA! Whether the crag would survive 60 or even 70, if I'm spared, might be questionable! Glad you enjoyed it, RA is that sort of a route, unless you're unlucky enough to catch the 7th wave beneath the final groove as has happened to me a few times! https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2017/10/right_angle_-_50th_anniversary_asce... 

OP Derry 26 Aug 2023
In reply to Iain Peters:

Thanks Iain, and yes I've seen that Bald Eagle video which was a really great watch. Ever since I moved over here circa 2011, and bought the SW Rockfax guide I'd been eyeing the route up. Shame we didn't do the classic line, but as said, we had fun anyway. Then popped down to Lands End for the LE Long Climb to tick off that classic. Needless to say we double/triple checked the guidebook for the correct start.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...