Guide book pictures of people falling off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 05 Jun 2022

I was having a look through the new Duddon guide this morning, and came across a climber taking a fall. I cannot recall seeing that in any other guidebooks. Are there many such pictures in guidebooks?

Alex Riley 05 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I've just been flicking through the new Dorset guide, there's at least one in there.

Graeme Hammond 05 Jun 2022
 PaulJepson 05 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

There's loads in the definitive grit guides. 

jezb1 05 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Llanberis guide has someone off Cenotaph Corner I think.

Darron 05 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Isn’t there a pic in a previous Dow & Duddon guide of one of the Phisakaleas (sp) taking a lob on an E6?

TheGeneralist 05 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Can't recall which edition  but Bernard Thum went through a phase in his Frankenjura guidebooks of having loads of pictures of lobs. I think it was the book after the "classic diagonal body position, lower arm crossed and upper arm reaching full extension for a hold that couldn't actually be reached from that position" series.  And  before the edition with endless pictures of long hair curtains hanging free to emphasise the overhangs...

Gripped 05 Jun 2022
In reply to jezb1:

It does, it is hard to tell at first glance and then you see the gear on the harness is at an odd angle and then both hands and a foot are off the rock!

TobyA 05 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I noticed one just recently in one of the BMC Peak grit guides - it must have been either at Stanage or Gardoms because those the crags that I've been to in the last week, so the sections of the book I would have been looking in.

Tigger 06 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I think the Ground Up Llanberis slate guide has someone taking a lob off the Rainbow.

Martin Hore 06 Jun 2022
In reply to Darron:

> Isn’t there a pic in a previous Dow & Duddon guide of one of the Phisakaleas (sp) taking a lob on an E6?

Probably. It's definitely in the FRCC selected climbs guide published 2003 (still my go-to Lakes guide). It's Keith Phizacklea on/off Woodhouse's Arete.

Martin

In reply to Godwin:

Long ago famously the Swanage guide of the 1980's had a (staged) one of someone off Stroof and another, very much not staged, one of someone having difficulty in following something in Black Zawn, possibly Sweet Sixteen, and finding themselves surfing the crest of a rather large wave while attempting to regain the rock. I have an idea these might have been the debut of this style of photo in UK guidebooks, though I could be wrong.

jcm

Scott Quinn 06 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Chris Moore always falls off

CMoore 06 Jun 2022
In reply to Scott Quinn:

> Chris Moore always falls off

This is true. Also, Scott Quinn never leaves the ground. 

Interesting point about their being not so many pictures of people falling off. I think its good to show the reality of climbing...we don't always get up stuff 1st go! 

AlanLittle 06 Jun 2022
In reply to TheGeneralist:

I was going to mention Herr Thum as well. Lots of falling off happening in his 2003 edition that I have

PaulJepson 06 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

There are some cracking photos of people falling off on here; they should feature more in guidebooks. 

Break on through at Sharpnose and The Sentinel at Burbage have great mid-air photos on here. Does anyone know of any others?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...