DLOG

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 18 Oct 2019

Hi. Some years ago I downloaded my UKC logbook to DLOG. As others have reported, it was a bit of a painful experience, but I eventually had mixed success - I got 3747 logged ascents across, but with numerous errors, style of ascent inexplicably changed from lead to abseiling, etc.

I now want to update my DLOG before enrolling on another Mountain Training course, but my total logged climbs on UKC has now increased to nearly 6000. I don't want to have to remove duplicates manually or do any other extensive manual editing (there are far too many entries), or worse, risk losing what's there already.

Any recent experiences of successful updates, or otherwise? Thanks.

OP bpmclimb 18 Oct 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

Tried a transfer. Got the numbers mostly across, but styles of ascent, etc, all over the place, so it's not an accurate log at all. Also browsing the detail in DLOG very difficult: I'm not at all impressed, especially given that it's compulsory for Mountain Training courses  

.... it's changed 327 of my ascents to "abseiling"!!!

Post edited at 15:49
 Derry 18 Oct 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

Same happened to me. Duplicated... abseiling.... all the problems above. 

And to think, the previous DLOG was even worse!

OP bpmclimb 18 Oct 2019
In reply to Derry:

Number of leads on UKC 4403; number of leads recognised as such by DLOG 2215

Worse than useless!!

Paul at work 18 Oct 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

Just put a link to your UKC logbook in your Dlog Files section. 

Or if you want to update your Dlog which i do do from time to time is only to upload the climbs that you have done since the last upload. Basically just delete all of the entries in the Excel file that you have already uploaded. 

As for changing the styles, other than doing it manually, I have no other solution, I'm afraid.

For the inclusion of teaching sessions, please don't list the routes that the clients used, if bottom roping for instance. Just use "various climbs" (you can add this if the crag hasn't already got it) and then write what you were doing in the description. Unless you were leading the climbs as part of the teaching, then feel free to list them. 

OP bpmclimb 18 Oct 2019
In reply to Paul at work:

Hi Paul - thanks for the tips.

Instructed sessions very large numbers too, I'm afraid - several hundred. I think I'll just attach an xls spreadsheet (I assume I can do that).

Part of the problem is that the site is so clunky - it's difficult even to see what's right and wrong, let alone isolate what's wrong and correct it. 

Alex Riley 18 Oct 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

You can log repeated sessions over a time period (ie once a week from one date to the next) rather than inputting individual sessions if that helps.

Paul at work 18 Oct 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

You can also add a summary word document. I assume that it is for RCDI? In which case the more information that you can add about your instructed sessions, the better. MT are wanting to see a broad range of experience, which i am certain that you have.

petegunn 18 Oct 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

Mine managed 4700, on UKC 12200 so pretty bad but I do climb at quite a few esoteric venues. It's too laborious to add crags and climbs to the Dlog.

OP bpmclimb 18 Oct 2019
In reply to Paul at work:

> You can also add a summary word document. I assume that it is for RCDI? In which case the more information that you can add about your instructed sessions, the better. MT are wanting to see a broad range of experience, which i am certain that you have.

Yes, RCDI. All my instructing sessions from the present back to Jan 2016 are on an excel spreadsheet - presumably that's ok, as well as Word? Prior to that - just scribblings in old diaries

Paul at work 18 Oct 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

Yes that should work include it in your file section.

I almost messaged you and Clare earlier in the year to see if you would be keen to do a RCDI course.  

gravy 21 Oct 2019

IIRC you can include a PDF in the DLOG so put a comprehensive list there.  With so many climbs the instructors will be able to get a good flavour of your experience despite the omissions so I wouldn't worry about it from a training PoV - I gave up trying to fix it after a few hundred errors and it made no difference.

The DLOG is abysmal. UKC does much better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...