Coronavirus - how safe is outdoor climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Howard J 17 Mar 2020

Leaving aside the issues of "essential travel" and possibly imposing an additional burden on the NHS and emergency services, how safe is outdoor climbing itself?  With some care it should be possible to maintain a good distance from your partner most of the time, but it will be impossible to avoid touching the same holds, the same rope, pieces of gear etc.  I can't be the only one who has sometimes held the rope or a piece of gear between my teeth.  Is there a real risk of transmission this way? Or am I just being paranoid?

J Whittaker 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Howard J:

Cant see if being an issue unless youre climbing with someone who has symptoms. Unless its goes seriously bad i will definitely be out on rock when the weather permits.

Perhaps try and avoid putting stuff in your mouth? 

Given its outdoor climbing and the government advice is 2m safe distance i dont see airborne transmission being a problem at the crag.

Post edited at 11:48
 Tom Valentine 17 Mar 2020
In reply to J Whittaker:

> . Unless its goes seriously bad .....

Go on, give us a clue about how bad it will have to be before it gets "serious".

Post edited at 15:32
 J Whittaker 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

E.g.  If movement is restricted between counties and regions like in Italy, that would prevent me climbing. If we ended up with fuel shortages and we were restricted from driving, if i became ill myself, if i lose my job and cant afford to go climbing..think of some more...

Smart arse, clearly its already serious but personally as it currently stands i will climb once the weather is suitable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...