Chee Dale - seepage and rain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shoski 29 Aug 2023

heyooo

thinking of checking out chee dale for the first time, its been quite the wet summer.
we're going out there in two weeks time and theres going to be sporadic rain throughout the two weeks. on the guides it says there "seepage during winter" but also good rain cover.

just wondering what's other people's experience? im hoping to hit a day when its not raining, but if it has rained previous night (for instance) will there be serious seepage? or do i have a chance of finding good cover?

looking to climb in the 7a range.

cheers!

Mowglee 29 Aug 2023
In reply to Shoski:

There are lots of crags in Chee Dale. Some seep worse than others. Not a huge range of choice at or below 7a; your best bet would probably be Max Buttress, Embankment and Two Tier for minimal seepage and lower grades. 

TobyA 29 Aug 2023
In reply to Shoski:

Photo about 10 days ago - it was completely gopping then. Doubt it's much better now. Sorry.

Cake 29 Aug 2023
In reply to Shoski:

It's been a wet summer, but not wet enough to get seepage through two tier and long wall. I don't think Max really takes seepage. These all have classics 7as and 7a+s (don't expect an easy ride, if you've never been).

I went to the Cornice which famously gets seepage in July when the weather had been rotten for a month, tried Clarion Call (7a) and it was fine.

Places like the nook and nettle buttress might not have been in condition all year, but you probably wouldn't be interested at 7a, anyway.

TobyA 29 Aug 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Trying again with the photo upload but keeps failing. Sorry, but anyway it was really wet!

deacondeacon 29 Aug 2023
In reply to Shoski:

Cornice is buggered.

Max, Two Tier, embankment, Rubicon and some lesser buttresses are fine 🙂

deacondeacon 29 Aug 2023
In reply to TobyA:

There's more to Chee Dale than just The Cornice 😉

In reply to Shoski:

I've only been to Max's wall a couple of times so no idea on conditions, but if you do go then Max to the Wall (7a+) is a great little 7a+ and felt low in the grade to me

UKB Shark 29 Aug 2023
In reply to Shoski:

Quality Control (7a) is pretty reliable and is the most amenable of the Chee Dale 7a’s. A bailout steep weather proof option nearby is Rubicon (7a) and also the 7a’s at Horseshoe on the Main Wall also dry very quickly. 

OP Shoski 30 Aug 2023
In reply to Shoski:

Thanks all for the tips and suggestions!
Will give it a go! Seems worth it.
Fingers crossed its all dry (somewhere)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...