Cairngorm Classic Rock Routes in a day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 arose 13 Jul 2020

Has anyone done this?  Know of anyone who has?  Would be interested to hear anyones stories from this linkup.  Cheers

Eagle Ridge (Summer) (S)

Squareface (VD)

Cumming-Crofton Route (Summer) (S)

The Talisman (Summer) (HS 4a)

The Clean Sweep (VS 4c)

Savage Slit (Summer) (S)

Doug 13 Jul 2020
In reply to arose:

Andy Nisbet & Charlie McCloud (think that's his name) did something similar but not  the same many years ago (1980s?). There was an article in the SMCJ at the time

OP arose 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Doug:

Thanks Doug.  Really wish I could just give Andy a call to chat about it.  I'd heard he had done some sort of classic rock link up.  Will see if I can find an older SMC member to look it up for me.  

Doug 13 Jul 2020
In reply to arose:

I have the SMCJ with the article but its  in storage back in Scotland. But to try & refresh my memory I had a search on Google & found this

https://www.scottishhillrunners.uk/LongDistanceRecords.aspx?LongDistanceRec...

Post edited at 13:06
 DaveHK 13 Jul 2020
In reply to arose:

I looked at it a couple of years ago but never got round to it. Very doable for climbers who can run or runners that can climb!

OP arose 13 Jul 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Cheers Dave.  Mark Chambers and I completed it yesterday - hands down one of the best days I've had in the mountains and I would be surprised if others hadn't done it though the the logistics of weather, lack of snow and enough daylight hours is a challenge.  Really keen to hear others stories if theyve done it

OP arose 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Doug:

Thanks Doug.  Thats a great link.  I've contacted Bob Reid to see if he has any way I can get hold of the article.

DaveHK 13 Jul 2020
In reply to arose:

Excellent. How long did it take?

Tom Last 13 Jul 2020
In reply to arose:

Superb! 

OP arose 13 Jul 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

17hrs 28mins. Loch Muick to Cairngorm ski car park.  It would be possible to do it a fair bit faster I think.  We werent quite comfortable with soloing some of the routes with all thats going on just now (I dont think I'd solo Talisman or clean sweep anyway) and we certainly werent running the whole time.

vscott 13 Jul 2020
In reply to arose:

Nice work - guessing you had a pickup/dropped vehicle at Coire cas to get back/retrieve transport from Muick?   

PaulJepson 13 Jul 2020
In reply to arose:

Big day! Did you have strava or anything going to show distance & height climbed etc.?

Tom Green 13 Jul 2020
In reply to arose:

Nice one. Fantastic effort!

OP arose 13 Jul 2020
In reply to vscott:

yep.  left a vehicle at loch muick and went back for it afterwards

OP arose 13 Jul 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

I had a gps and mark had strava (I think) - he certainly was recording on his watch.  about to look at the stats today though it came in at 62km with the 6 routes normally giving 28 pitches of climbing.  I would guess its just over 3000m of elevation gain but need to check.

OP arose 13 Jul 2020
In reply to arose:

Distance - 62.62km.

Elevation gain – 3532m

Vigier 14 Jul 2020
In reply to arose:

Well done - great effort!

OP arose 14 Jul 2020
In reply to arose:

heres the Gpx file on fatmap if anyones interested.

https://fatmap.com/routeid/2148008/Cairngorm_Classic_Rock_in_a_Day?fmid=cp

Tom Green 10 Aug 2020
In reply to arose:

Having had a crack at this on Saturday I can confirm that it was a mega effort!

We weren't up to it... we did the full route from Lochnagar to Coire Cas (not that you have much choice once you leave Braemar!) but only did 3/6 routes (we just weren't going quickly enough to get them all done in twenty four hours). 

Well done again to Ali and Mark -such a good effort (and such a great concept!)

OP arose 16 Aug 2020
In reply to Tom Green:

Cheers Tom.  Great effort yourself - a glorious failure is almost as good as a success in my book (well it makes for as good a story anyway!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...