building a stainless steel (or other material) large climbing ledge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbercool 03 Feb 2024

I live in China so don't worry, this wont be going up anywhere in the u.k.  WHere i live there is so much great rock nearby that could only be reached after 20 odd metres of crappy dirty slab climbing, I want to put a small ledge at the end the slab so you can belay comfortably, they will be hard sport climbs so not at all suitable for multipitch style.  I'm thinking of getting  some stainless stell bars welded together into ledge and then hanging it off some bolts.   I'm not practically minded or handy at all and I was wandering if anyone here had done this before or had any advice on how to hang it and what materials to use.   Im thinking of builiding something around 3m wide by 1m deep. I guess it should be simple but any advice appreciated . 

daWalt 03 Feb 2024
In reply to climbercool:

I'm assuming that as it currently is, you'll need to be anchored there to belay; nothing to stand on.

I think it would be easier to place a double bolt anchor at the bottom of each route, and add a via ferrata type staple if you need something more to stand on.

minimum metalwork, and minimum drilling - why the need to fabricate a levitating SS dancefloor? in the long run, if the area gets reasonable traffic the slabs might get less dirty.....

JLS 03 Feb 2024
In reply to climbercool:

When you say “stainless steel bars” do you mean like round reinforcement bars for concrete or structural steel sections?

If just bars it would be too flimsy. 1m x 3m would sag under the load of a couple of people. If this was a real access platform you’d be looking for around 150mm deep parallel flange channel sections and 30mm thick open mesh flooring support at four corners. For your purposes you might get way with 100x100x10 angles forming a frame to support wooden decking. This could be supported at three points along the rock side with 2 M12 bolts at each point. The outside edge could have 3 legs raking back to the rock at 45 deg. Alternatively, it would be simpler to suspend the platform with chains from above however this comes with an increased risk of being whipped about in a storm and falling on someone’s head…

Post edited at 19:13
 Dan Arkle 04 Feb 2024
In reply to climbercool:

You should use mainly local materials like they do in Taghia. 

Drill in 1 inch steel bars into the rock, put dead juniper branches across them and then hold them down with huge rocks. Solid. 

jimtitt 04 Feb 2024
In reply to climbercool:

I specified a metal ledge for a project in Belgium, we used a metal scaffolding deck and a few brackets made up to hold it, cheap, easy, certified and come in various lengths.

Baz P 04 Feb 2024
In reply to climbercool:

The Redovan ferrata in Spain has two platforms part way up the 800ft face. These have two extra long staples, about 24 inches long, 3feet apart horizontally and both with a metal plate welded onto them. They then have three 4ft long wooden planks bolted across them making a ledge 4ft wide by 2ft deep. We had lunch on one of them. 

OP climbercool 05 Feb 2024
In reply to JLS:

Thanks for your reply, definitiely given me something to think about. Yes I was thinking bars would be strong enough but Ill get some flange channel sections.  stuff like that is super cheap here.

beardy mike 05 Feb 2024
In reply to climbercool:

Are you a major share holder in a crisp company? <pulls up chair, opens pack of crisps, settles in for the impending flame ware armageddon>

Toerag 06 Feb 2024
In reply to climbercool:

Just buy an old SS bathing platform from the back of a cabin cruiser.

deepsoup 06 Feb 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

> Are you a major share holder in a crisp company? <pulls up chair, opens pack of crisps, settles in for the impending flame ware armageddon>

Crisps!?  What kind of a savage would eat crisps at the cinema?  You're the one trying to stir up trouble, I reckon.

CantClimbTom 06 Feb 2024
In reply to deepsoup:

Really he wanted to link to the Michael  Jackson popcorn meme https://images.app.goo.gl/WVjuP9vLWjRuKChg8 but was trying to throw us off the scent with prawn cocktail crisps instead. On the bright side it could've been a pack of scampi flavour fries

Edit, don't want to encourage more than a bunch of via feratta staples and a bombproof anchor, but on the bright side OP wants to help develop climbing for others, which is very public spirited!

Post edited at 12:10
 beardy mike 06 Feb 2024
In reply to deepsoup:

I mist admit I'm disappointed so far with this thread. I had assumed that this poor person would have been torn to pieces by armchair bound critics by now...

dominic o 07 Feb 2024
In reply to camstoppa:

> Here you go:

Thanks Camstoppa - haha! That's exactly what I was thinking of, but you beat me to it!

More pics here:

https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2017/03/01/back-to-the-dragons-labyrinth/ 

https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2017/02/28/montanejos-laberinto-de-los-dra...

Awesome spot by the way! Cheers, Dom 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...