Bolted line at wintours leap central bay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sianabanana 03 Sep 2023

The Problems (none 5b) Wintour's Leap

Hi

Question regarding bolting at wintours, central bay area. We walked up from the river towards the corner buttress route. We must have missed a turning and was further along than I thought, so walked back along the base of the crag to find out route,maybe 5/6 routes (10 meters) away from corner buttress we walked past a bolted line, and could see a number of bolts around, maybe another line, leading up over a steeper overhang above.

Anyone know what route this is? I have spotted their "the problems" on the ukc page but not much info. I'm assuming this is what we saw.

I was surprised to see a bolted line at this part of the crag, some of the bolts were looking a little rusty

Regard

Sian

nikoid 03 Sep 2023
 Ian Parsons 03 Sep 2023
In reply to nikoid:

Dunno, Nick; GO Wall is quite a distance away. Microserf (7a) is nearer?

25 years old - so I suppose the bolts could be starting to look corroded by now.

Ah - no; scrub that about the bolts. 1998 was the earlier ascent [?]; current version was equipped and climbed eight years later.

Post edited at 20:59
OP sianabanana 03 Sep 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Ah that's it. Twin trunk tree. Thanks for the clues 

Post edited at 21:13
 Cheese Monkey 03 Sep 2023
In reply to sianabanana:

Vast majority of the bolts on the problems have been removed so its unlikely its those you saw. Probably something on GO Wall or Deceiver buttress

nikoid 04 Sep 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Yes, more likely. Your mental map is better than mine - after all these years I still find myself blundering around down there trying to find the starts!

> Dunno, Nick; GO Wall is quite a distance away. Microserf (7a) is nearer?

> 25 years old - so I suppose the bolts could be starting to look corroded by now.

> Ah - no; scrub that about the bolts. 1998 was the earlier ascent [?]; current version was equipped and climbed eight years later.

Ian Parsons 04 Sep 2023
In reply to nikoid:

The OP appears to have made a 'positive ID' of the tree at the bottom - and "a number of bolts around, maybe another line, leading up over a steeper overhang above" could well refer to the two short routes that exit through the roof of the cave immediately left of Microserf's crux section and/or the three on the headwall above the shared belay atop Pulp Friction/Helen and Rigsby/VapourWare. My recollection is that the various sport/sport-in-all-but-name routes on GO Wall and Deceiver Buttress were equipped/re-equipped with stainless gear in the course of the 'GO Wall Project' in 2005 - so one wouldn't expect them to be looking "a little rusty". I don't recall what the Microserf bolts are, but its equipping wouldn't have been part of the project.

OP sianabanana 04 Sep 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Yep it was microserf. I just hadn't realised there were bolted lines here so was a bit surprised,thinking maybe they were new. But then they were a bit rusty so more confusion. After walking further, I realised I was not where I thought I was! Always confusing finding the base of routes through the trees when you only visit once a year!

Thanks for the info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...