Best thing on YouTube!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 02 May 2021

Alex Honnold critiquing climbing scenes in Hollywood movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=akqcYEIXoEo&

TheGeneralist 03 May 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

Balls. Can't believe I just sat through 30 minutes if that only to find that he skips the Chouinard harness unravel scene in Cliffhanger.  What a load of shit.  That's like having a film about modern formula one without mentioning Lewis Hamilton.

deepsoup 03 May 2021
In reply to TheGeneralist:

It was Black Diamond in the "whoops there goes my harness" scene wasn't it?  Still, thanks for the heads up.

Here, this might cheer you up if that's left you bummed out a bit - have a nice piece of cake: youtube.com/watch?v=2HC28su4cKg&

TheGeneralist 03 May 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> It was Black Diamond in the "whoops there goes my harness" scene wasn't it?  

Same thing.  Thanks for the cake though 😃

Just done s bit of googling and it appears that BD CC sued the film makers, so that probably explains why Honnold steered clear.  Shame really, would have been easily the most interesting part of his vid.

I remember wondering why the hell BD had given permission for them to use the harness in the film,  given how bad it looks.  Turns out they didn't give permission. Which does make the film makers look very stupid for showing so much detail of the harness make.

Did they really expect the manufacturer to accept that sitting down....

Post edited at 11:45
 TMM 03 May 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

Sorry Nick, you’ve embarrassed yourself here. You’ve been on this site long enough to know that indisputably the best climbing related video on YT is  youtube.com/watch?v=Wy3SuhEQHVg&

Please re-phrase your question to consider the thorny issue of the second best climbing related video on YT. 

Would you like me to escalate this to the mods to save your blushes?

Post edited at 11:48
OP The New NickB 03 May 2021
In reply to TMM:

Must be a few years since that was last posted on here. Of course for a few years it was posted virtually daily.

In reply to TheGeneralist:

> Same thing.  Thanks for the cake though 😃

> Just done s bit of googling and it appears that BD CC sued the film makers, so that probably explains why Honnold steered clear.  Shame really, would have been easily the most interesting part of his vid.

> I remember wondering why the hell BD had given permission for them to use the harness in the film,  given how bad it looks.  Turns out they didn't give permission. Which does make the film makers look very stupid for showing so much detail of the harness make.

> Did they really expect the manufacturer to accept that sitting down....

The film makers probably knew so little about climbing they thought the scene reasonable?

Having seen the film, that seems the most likely explanation.

GerM 08 May 2021
In reply to TMM:

Looks like your link isn't working properly, try this:

youtube.com/watch?v=1dJLN43G6KA&

Lankyman 08 May 2021
In reply to GerM:

> Looks like your link isn't working properly, try this:

'Dude, I think you need to work this out' (just after the 'dude' sh@t himself .... ). I think if I was the rescuer I'd have wet myself laughing and plummeted to the deck.

planetmarshall 08 May 2021
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> The film makers probably knew so little about climbing they thought the scene reasonable?

Accuracy was clearly not a priority, but they knew enough to have Ron Kauk and Wolfgang Güllich as stunt doubles.

I like Cliffhanger - John Lithgow: "Tucker, you resilient bastard."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...