Angle of slabs. Messner Slab. Sasso delle Nove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 16 Jun 2023

I have just been looking at this picture https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/sasso_delle_nove_sass_de_les_nu-21..., and the route looks very very bold, but context is all, and I cannot weigh up just how steep that slab is. 
If it is as steep as 3 Pebble slab, with all those holds, it is not too bad, but one would get a nasty graze. 
Can anyone give any idea of just how steep they are.
In my more insane moments, I have pondered if guidebooks could actually give the angle of a slab, a bit like you see on roads, I know when I am cycling and I see 10%,I cry, so I suppose what I am trying to find out is if the Messner Route will make me cry.

Post edited at 08:32
 Dave Garnett 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

We went to have a look the night before a planned ascent - mostly not nearly as steep as 3PS, as I recall. 

Can't help you with the potential to make you cry though.  The following morning we awoke to half a metre of snow, so decided against it! 

Post edited at 08:43
OP Godwin 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Thank you, possibly a slight whimper, but it sounds like once I got truckin, I would be fine.
I bet you were gutted, I am reckoning 3.5 hours from the parking, to the foot of the route, with a stay at the Refugio needed, either on the way in, or out.
How did you walk out, I am just going to take approach shoes, which in that much snow, would not be ideal. Did you wear boots and possibly have gaiters?

Dave Garnett 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

We had planned to camp but nearly bankrupted ourselves staying two nights at the Lavarella hut.  It was a long time ago but the photograph confirms we were in approach shoes...  

It also suggests how long ago we're talking about!

Post edited at 09:10

OP Godwin 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

What a lovely happy picture. 
Thanks for the help.

BenTiffin 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Absolutely amazing route.
I did it in 2003, so a little bit out of date, but we cycled in from the east up the long track and back out in the day.

The route itself get steadily steeper and his run out all the way, although there is gear on it.

Mick Ward 17 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

The thing about slabs is this though: the minute you actually start to climb them, they get steeper. Don't ask me how or why; they just do. 

When they get hard, they get even steeper. Also when the gear's shit. And when they're hard and the gear's shit, well... I think you get the picture. 

You have to be careful on slabs. 

Mick 

AlanLittle 17 Jun 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

Also, those slabs look like alpine limestone water runnels. On which I for one am unable to perceive much difference in difficulty between "IV+" and "VII-" . And that's not because "VII-" feels easy!

fuzzysheep01 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

The climbing is very steady, but as someone said above it's very bold, basically not one to be anywhere near your limit on. From memory it felt fairly easy angled, like a marginally steeper Etive Slabs but with holds. The steeper stuff nearer the top has some choss (it's the Dolomites after all) but is better protected. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...