-Please help....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi All

Please watch this vid....do you think is it possible to place climbing nuts and hexs in the holes and cracks in the cutting walls?

Start watching about 2.38

youtube.com/watch?v=si_uFWIFbFs&

Post edited at 20:37
 earlsdonwhu 04 May 2020
In reply to Climbing Joanna:

I guess you could place gear but with all that vegetation and biological weathering, I presume there will be masses of loose rock. 

That's irrespective of who owns the land and the merits of stripping lots of vegetation!

Mick Ward 04 May 2020

Don't do it; chances are they'll rip. Tons of vegetation. How are you going to top out? Belays??

Wants cleaning and bolting but not worth it, imho. You'd get a ton of grief from nature lovers, etc. And the rock's so soft you'd have to be very careful with the bolting.

There's a whole world out there. I think it's best to leave this.

Mick

In reply to Mick Ward:

I was thinking of lead climbing it, then setting up a top anchor, abseiling back down Then top ropeing it so my friend can climb it as well..

most of the vegitation clears when autum/winter sets in.

Very few people go there, it is an abandoned coal mine  track bed.

I think its made of sand stone, but not certain, ive still got to explore it.

Post edited at 21:38
 andyb211 04 May 2020

Go for it look for a line trim the veg back top rope it assume there are sturdy trees at the top?

Enjoy

Bulls Crack 05 May 2020

Looks soft and unreliable - not thanks! Maybe best left as habitat?

Howard J 05 May 2020

This probably belongs either to Network Rail or Highways England Historical Railways Estate, neither of whom are particularly keen on this sort of activity.

The "find crags" facility shows a number of established venues not far away, I don't know if they're any good but they can't be much worse than this look!.  You're also pretty close to the Peak District, once travel restrictions are eased.  Until then, you shouldn't be climbing anyway.

mutt 05 May 2020

back in the day, before climbing walls these bits of Victorian infrastructure were often employed for training purposes. It looks too loose and overall quite crap to be destination but if you are local why don't you just use it for traversing. It was certainly good enough for the greats of 1984 and it seems that Steve McClure is revisiting buildering for training in the lockdown. Don't go too high though as I agree with others that the sidings might be loose under all that vegetation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...