A Crawl Down The Ogre talks by Doug Scott, CBE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

One of the most dramatic stories of mountain survival ever

A Crawl down The Ogre by Doug Scott CBE Autumn 2018 tour:  Holmfirth 4 Oct – York 8 Oct – Darlington 9 Oct – Ilkley 8 Nov – Stockport 13 Nov – Dunfermline 26 Nov

Doug Scott CBE and that other icon of mountaineering, Chris Bonington, made the first ascent of The Ogre (7285m) in the Karakoram in July 1977.  Their climb extended the boundaries of what had been achieved before at that altitude. But it was the subsequent descent from the summit in the dark, turning a catalogue of disasters that would have defeated most people into an epic, which has since entered mountaineering folklore.  It was 24 years before The Ogre was climbed again.

Doug will be telling a thrilling story of hard climbing, team work and survival against all odds, in his famously laconic and humorous style. The talk has been refreshed with the aid of photographs and material from diaries from other members of the team – Chris Bonington, Nick Estcourt and Clive Rowland - plus cine film and audio tapes recently discovered in an attic and made by the late Mo Anthoine on the expedition.

04  Oct            Holmfirth, Holmfirth Picturedrome, HD9 7DA                  picturedrome.net / 01484 689759

08 Oct             York, Joseph Rowntree Theatre, YO31 8TA                  duenorthevents.com / 01904 501935

09 Oct             Darlington, Dolphin Centre, DL1 5RP                           duenorthevents.com / 01325 406000

08 Nov             Ilkley, King’s Hall & Winter Garden, LS29 8HB            duenorthevents.com / 01274 432000

13 Nov             Stockport, Mellor Primary School, SK6 5PL                          canepal.org.uk / 0161 494 6047

26 Nov             Dunfermline, The Vine Conference Centre, KY11 4JU          canepal.org.uk / 07753 662545

On all evenings you can purchase Nepalese goods and auctioned signed framed mountaineering prints, all in aid of Community Action Nepal. Doug Scott will also be signing posters and his books.

Profits from ticket sales to Community Action Nepal at Holmfirth and Stockport. Profits from ticket sales at York, Darlington and Ilkley to Doug Scott, CBE. Profits at Dunfermline will be shared by C.A.N. and the Inverkeithling & Dalgety Bay Rotary Club. Community Action Nepal canepal.org.uk Registered Charity No. 1067772

In reply to Denise Prior CAN:

Surely they must be down by now.

leon 1 28 Oct 2018
In reply to John Stainforth: No apparently its just never ever ending

In reply to John Stainforth:

I know what you mean. Is this the only story the guy has? However, I temper my boredom with the fact that he's doing it to raise money for a worthy cause which I salute.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...