Where to keep raw files

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hudson 09 May 2017
So as a continuation about my lightroom query on workflow my next question is where do people keep the original raw files that the catalogue in lightroom is associated with.....Just in 1 folder or subdivide them by category.

In reply to Andy Hudson:

Mine are the folders in Lightroom puts them in when I use Lightroom import. These I believe are named after the date you shot the pictures

The files that I had before Lightroom are still in their original folders
 John2 09 May 2017
In reply to Andy Hudson:

I set up folders by subject - one folder for climbing, one for landscape, etc. Within climbing it's divided by country and then by crag. It makes finding the photos I want much easier, though obviously the same could be achieved by tagging.
 Fraser 09 May 2017
In reply to Andy Hudson:
Separate folders by reverse date, but also crag / venue description in the name. I divide each year into quarters, although this isn't really necessary. So typically, the location of a set of RAW files from a specific date would be: 2017/Q2/yymmdd/Dumbarton and I'll sometimes add the initials of who I was climbing with that day, so it might have, for example, FKPJ as a suffix.

Edit: should have said I have a few Master folders eg. climbing, social, landscape, family etc.
Post edited at 21:42
 ChrisJD 10 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Fraser - I'm with you on structure.

I keep my Images on a separate internal 4TB SATA disk (backed up multiple times, including cloud). Apparently LR works best if you have Operating System on separate Disk to the LR Cat & Cache. The LR Cat/Cache is stored on a separate SSD to maximise speed, with the Windows OS on another separate SSD.

https://digital-photography-school.com/10-tips-to-improve-lightrooms-speed-...

My image folder Structure. Copied from the last thread:

I use a Time Line folder structure hierarchy:

Then sequential folder within each year for separate trips, days out and monthly general folders in the order they took place.

01-2017 Jan trip xxxx
02-2017 Jan General
03-2017 Feb Peaks Ladybower Walk
04-207 Feb Half Term Hols

This structure maintains order on the hard Drive

On Import I use a rename Preset so that a date YYMM prefix is added to the start of the file name.

If you want to then arrange things by activity - use LR Collections! That's what they are there for.

HeMa 10 May 2017
In reply to Andy Hudson:

As can be seen from the results... Different people have different ways.

As LR is keyword/tag based system... A single folder containing everything would work... But in reality, it's not smart.

How ever, you define the folder when you import them. I use move (or copy as DNG, after which I delete the original RAWs).

My import hierarchy is location based, so I follow the logic below:
<year>/<location>

Instead of location, I might use a trip (eg. SummerNorway, and then use keywords within LR to separate them by location etc.). For file naming, I use <full date stamp, inc. year>-<shoot/location/trip name>-<Sequence>.

Works for me, but other might disagree...

Try to think what you want to get from folders... and why.

For me, the folders helps to set locations as I end up shooting pics from the same locales numerous times a year (mainly climbing crags... but still). Pro's or semipros would be adviced to use <shoot/client name>-<time> for folders (and naturally segregate by year). And as I manage all the pics inside LR, the folders serve no other function... As if I wish to publish something, I will do so from LR. If you are using sidecar XMLs and other applications for them photos, a more descriptive folder hierarchy might be in order.
 Fraser 10 May 2017
In reply to HeMa:

> ....How ever, you define the folder when you import them. I use move (or copy as DNG, after which I delete the original RAWs).

Is that importing from the memory card, or from Win Explorer? I assume the former as I always copy my files from the card to a folder on my PC using Windows Explorer. It's from there that I Import into LR but when doing it that way, I don't get an option of 'defining a folder'.
 HeMa 10 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Neither, as I'm on a Mac .

To be fair, I often end up using WD Passport Wireless, so I copy all the files from the SD to it. And when at home (so access to the NAS, where I store the actual photos for LR), I import the RAWs (or rather Copy as DNG) directly from the Passport using normal LR Import.

And AFAIK you can always set up a folder where to store the files (which are accessed from the LR).

Perhaps you might wish to go through these 2 links...
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2211761

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/photo-video-import-options.html
 Fraser 10 May 2017
In reply to HeMa:

Ah, apologies for the assumption! Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...