RAW images and Linux?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 15 Mar 2017
I'm away from home at the moment with my aged laptop running Linux and a shed load of images just downloaded onto it.

The laptop was relegated to surfing the interwide web with Linix and not for anything more advanced that trolling on here because it would not play nicely with Windows 10.

Enough of all that, is there anything that I can use to view RAW images accurately?

I can view JPEGS fine and dandy however if I try to view a RAW image then all I get is some sort of 1970's crappy incorrectly processed from Boots. Its like the image has had a Ye Oldie filter added to the image which makes it look faded and drab.

Anybody know of any Linux software that will do the RAW files justice, or tell me what I am doing wrong with the installed software to make my images look crap?
In reply to The Lemming:

Darktable! Darktable is awesome.
OP The Lemming 15 Mar 2017
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> Darktable! Darktable is awesome.

Tried that but for some reason Darktable too, gives the 1970's makeover.

Either my laptop is too old or its down to user stupidity.

robhorton 15 Mar 2017

> Darktable! Darktable is awesome.

What he said.
In reply to The Lemming:
White balance set to something daft? Pretty sure when you first open a file it shows you what the camera thinks it should be.

Edit: if you export a jpeg from it does it still look rubbish?
Post edited at 20:04
 robhorton 15 Mar 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

It's unlikely to be the computer... What's the camera? It could be a RAW format that Darktable doesn't handle very well... Otherwise it is a fairly steep learning curve - are you able to share any examples?
> White balance set to something daft? Pretty sure when you first open a file it shows you what the camera thinks it should be.Edit: if you export a jpeg from it does it still look rubbish?

I don't have a scooby how to set White balance in Darktable. However for a split second the RAW image looks perfect and then in the blink of an eye the image looks all washed out.

JPEGS look fine and dandy.
Post edited at 20:12
strawbale 15 Mar 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

RAW from which camera (and model)?
strawbale 15 Mar 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

also: which distro (and version)?
In reply to The Lemming:
Even the ones spit out from darktable's interpretation of your RAW files??
Post edited at 20:11
In reply to robhorton:

> It's unlikely to be the computer... What's the camera?

the camera is a Panasonic GH4.

The poorly laptop struggles to play the 4k videos captured with the camera. Got a feeling that the laptop is too old and slow to render the videos.

In reply to strawbale:

> also: which distro (and version)?

Linux Mint 17.3

I tried installing some software while following some website and commands for the Command Line. I had to do all this in the Administrator account and then reboot. Something went tits-up and I can no longer boot up into the Administrator account. Some files are corrupted from this task. I will have to wait till I go home next week to reinstall Linux Mint.

Even before the fek-up with the software, I still had the image problem.
strawbale 15 Mar 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

what laptop (specs)?
 FactorXXX 15 Mar 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I can view JPEGS fine and dandy however if I try to view a RAW image then all I get is some sort of 1970's crappy incorrectly processed from Boots. Its like the image has had a Ye Oldie filter added to the image which makes it look faded and drab.

Isn't there a possibility that the unedited RAW files actually are 'crap' and that the cameras software has made the JPEG's 'look good' before viewing on your laptop?

> Even the ones spit out from darktable's interpretation of your RAW files??

The RAW files look awful, but strangely the thumbnails look perfect. Obviously something has gone wrong somewhere.

I even had a stab at reinstalling all my image viewing software in case this reset the settings back to default.
strawbale 15 Mar 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Best to ask on a Mint forum, as, as far as I know, not all viewers work (well) on every distro.

Maybe gthumb: https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/gthumb

Yep. The image on the left hand side of the first link is similar to my woes.

The second link does not work though, sorry.
In reply to The Lemming:
I think I'm leaning towards a suspicion of an inkling...
https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/10204
Your camera wasn't supported in old versions of darktable. The version of darktable in the ubuntu repos is a very old version of darktable (1.4-2).
The solution, which sounds academic now anyway, is either:
Install the latest from darktable.org or the PPA
or
Turn off the Base Curve module (click on original in the history stack then compress history stack)
Post edited at 20:43

> I think I'm leaning towards a suspicion of an inkling...https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/10204Your camera wasn't supported in old versions of darktable.

Ahhh, that sounds better than my laptop being old and past it.

When I get home, I may tinker with a more current version of Linux Mint, provided its as reliable as the Long Term setup.

Thanks everybody for helping me out.
In reply to The Lemming:
New version of Mint won't necessarily change anything. I think it'll still grab an old version of darktable.
I'd recommend doing what https://launchpad.net/~pmjdebruijn/+archive/ubuntu/darktable-release says, i.e.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pmjdebruijn/darktable-release
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install darktable

Should work, and hopefully it'll help encourage you to make the switch

For when you get started: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmvlUro_Up1NBX7VK8UUuyWo1B468zEA0
Post edited at 21:34

> and hopefully it'll help encourage you to make the switch

No thanks. I have no desire to jump though any hoops. Why does Linux have to be so high maintenance especially when Google's Android has it nailed.

strawbale 15 Mar 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Because there are more Linux distros than Google desserts
 planetmarshall 16 Mar 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> ...is there anything that I can use to view RAW images accurately?

xxd | less

JoshOvki 16 Mar 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Linux is more flexible, and you have more choice of applications. Adding a repository and installing the application is still way easier in Linux than it used to be in Windows for example.
 d_b 27 Mar 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:
I have some objections to that:

1. less is only for slow readers.
1a. A good photo should make an impression immediately.
2. xxd and other hex dump tools are for young whippersnappers. Go binary or go home!

More sensibly: Does darktable use dcraw under the hood?
Post edited at 13:02
 planetmarshall 11 Apr 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

> More sensibly: Does darktable use dcraw under the hood?

No, it has its own developing routines. Source available on github -

https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...