potential great climbing camera from fuji

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MrRiley 19 Jul 2018

I think this is quite exciting:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2300775454/fujifilm-xf10-is-a-small-wide-angl...

When my rx100 dies, which I fear isn't far off, may well get this if the reviews are good

d_b 19 Jul 2018
In reply to MrRiley:

Fujifilm cameras tend to have hobbled firmware that seriously limits their manual exposure modes.  I made the mistake of buying one of their high end compacts a few years ago and found it completely useless for any of the after dark shots I was interested in.

A pity, as the sensor and optics were excellent.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Jul 2018
In reply to MrRiley:

A 28mm lens means it is of zero interest to me, I would always trade ‘ultimate’ image quality for a decent zoom,

Chris

Robert Durran 19 Jul 2018
In reply to d_b:

> Fujifilm cameras tend to have hobbled firmware that seriously limits their manual exposure modes.  

What is the problem? I've never had any issues or heard of any before.

Removed User 19 Jul 2018
In reply to d_b:

Can you expand on this? I'm a Fuji user and this is news to me.

d_b 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

The problem was that they decided to make the max exposure time inversely proportional to the ISO.

On ISO 100 you could select any time up to 60 seconds.  Great.  On ISO 200 it would only let you have 30, on 400 15 etc.

If 60 seconds at ISO 100 isn't enough light then tough sh1t.  You aren't getting the picture.

Given that it was a 500 quid camera this annoyed me enough to blacklist them permanently.

Post edited at 10:47
OP MrRiley 19 Jul 2018
In reply to All:

Good, interesting responses so far! Must admit I have a few friends who shoot with fuji's and they all rave about them, certainly no complaints about the manual exposure modes.

d_b 19 Jul 2018
In reply to MrRiley:

I accept that it is only a problem for a fairly specific use case, but if night shooting is what you are into then it is crippling.

OP MrRiley 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Chris Craggs

Intriguing Chris. If I'm on a route and photographing partners then I find I mostly shoot at quite wide angles, trying to set the climber in the context of the surroundings etc. However if I'm taking photos of other parties on a different route then yeah, more range is obviously great. 24MP is high enough res for some reasonable cropping though

Removed User 19 Jul 2018
In reply to d_b:

Which model did you have? I had a XE1 and a X100s, now have a XT2 and ISO only goes to 200 on all of them, the same I believe for all of the X series. I've only ever used the bulb function for long exposures, nighttime shots included.

d_b 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

It was an X30, back when they were new and shiny. 

I don't tend to use bulb without a remote as I don't want to touch the camera when it's just sat on a mini tripod.  I go with the self timer and stand well back.

There was enough to like about the camera that if they have fixed the firmware I would consider looking at them again.  I suspect that the limitation was more to do with marketing than actual engineering limitations, and that they were prioritising making claims about noise over the ability to take pictures.

Robert Durran 19 Jul 2018
In reply to d_b:

> It was an X30, back when they were new and shiny. 

My X-T10 will do 30 seconds at any ISO from the 200 base up, so it might have been model specific or have been sorted out.

> I don't tend to use bulb without a remote as I don't want to touch the camera when it's just sat on a mini tripod.  I go with the self timer and stand well back.

Me too, but if I want longer than 30 seconds I use a cable.

> There was enough to like about the camera that if they have fixed the firmware I would consider looking at them again.

Maybe you should do so!

ChrisJD 19 Jul 2018
In reply to MrRiley:

Looks like it will be a little cracker of a camera.

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 19 Jul 2018
In reply to MrRiley:

No viewfinder - non starter.

(imo, of course)

Neil

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Jul 2018
In reply to MrRiley:

I am currently using a Panasonic Tz100 for my 'carrying camera' - the 28-250mm lens is pretty useful,

Chris

Mike-W-99 21 Jul 2018
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Looks like it improves over the cheaper tz range with a proper 1" sensor.

Brian Pollock 22 Jul 2018
In reply to MrRiley:

Similar to the Ricoh GR / GRII which is, with a little care (i.e. it isn't fully weather sealed - but no issues with mine summer or winter), an incredible climbing camera if you are content taking wide shots. 16MP APS-C CMOS sensor in a compact camera which can be operated one-handed with full manual controls. No lens cap, etc. to faff with so very quick to get out and put away. Fits in the smallest Lowepro dashpoint pouch due to the fixed retractable lens. Also, just a very fun camera to use day in day out.

PPP 22 Jul 2018
In reply to MrRiley:

I had Fuji X100F and was quite disappointed. Lots of people are saying it's build as a tank due to the Made in Japan label. The EVF/OVF shutter broke less than in 6 months, quite few people experience shutter button coming off, especially when using with the threaded soft release shutter button. I was lucky I had warranty still as the repair is quite pricey (one of the forums mentioned £580 for the exact same issue: https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/how-much-to-fix.18712/ , but third-party service quoted £178). 

I am back to M43 and Panasonic GX80/GX85 with Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 pancake is not much bigger. While 35mm is great for all-round photography in the hills, I can now choose from Pana 20mm F/1.7 pancake, Sigma 60mm F/2.8 short-tele, Pana 35-100mm F/4.0-5.6 as small tele and Pana-Leica 10-18mm F2.8-F4.0 as wide lens.

I treated X100F as a baby. I am now less afraid of getting the camera covered in ice (happened with different M43 body), throwing it around and abuse it occasionally. It's camera I use in the mountains, after all. 

My point? X100F is regarded as a tank, but XF10 would be a downgraded version of their APS-C fixed primes (they also had X70 fixed prime and X30 fixed zoom). Maybe I was unlucky, but after reading up, they do have problems. All cameras do, but they do not carry a premium price tag. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...