Pansonic LX100 or alternative?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 10 Sep 2023

Having just spent a few days in the Cuillin, I am thinking of getting a camera for those times when I don't want to carry around my Fuji X-T2 with several lenses but still want to be able to enjoy taking photos on a camera good enough to hold it's own on image quality - something with a zoom, a viewfinder (essential) and proper controls ideally like my Fuji's. I am happy to more or less point and shoot with a small compact when doing technical climbing. The starting point in my thinking is a second hand Panasonic LX100 Mk1 (though concerned about its dust issue), but I am interested in other options. I wondered about a Fuji X30 - I like the fact it has a proper mechanical zoom (I hate those little zoom levers!) and I am used to Fuji RAWS, but the small sensor might rule it out (any thoughts?). Other options of similar specs and price range that could be recommended? Thanks for any input. 

ChrisJD 11 Sep 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

I had a similar dilemma for a recent travelling family holiday. Said this about it on another UK thread:

'I added a cheapish 2nd hand (£130) 15-45mm (Fuji XC) kit zoom lens to my Fuji set up; the thing is tiny and great for travelling.  Makes the XT-3 footprint not 'that' much bigger than my X100.'

'It's a little cracker for size & cost and it's got image stabilisation to boot; was really pleasantly surprised how good the kit lens turned out to be for travelling.'

Post edited at 09:32
 rif 11 Sep 2023

Like you I insist on a viewfinder and for years have used a Fuji X20, which I think has the same lens and sensor as the X30. It's great to handle and fairly small to carry. If you want to see the image quality and resolution, pm me and I can send a few jpegs for you to inspect. 

Rob F

ChrisJD 11 Sep 2023

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Fujifilm-X-T2-vs-Fujifilm-X30

Scroll down for visual size comparison X-T2 to X30

d_b 11 Sep 2023

I had good results with an LX-100 but did manage to kill it after a couple of years.

I'm currently using the LX-100 II, which seems slightly more capable but I preferred the ergonomics of the original. The II has a touch screen, which annoys me.

Paul Evans 11 Sep 2023

Looked at an LX100 but eventually went for a Sony RX100m3. Would recommend getting an accessory grip, otherwise a bit "bar of soap-y". Had it for 7 years now and it's been fab. 

Good luck whatever you decide.

Paul

alex_th 11 Sep 2023

I have recently changed to a Panasonic GM5 with the small 12-32 mm zoom for use on multi-pitch routes. It is a fairly unusual camera from a few years ago which I guess didn't sell very well. It has the same 16 MB Micro Four Thirds sensor as the much better selling GX7 from the same time. It weighs 10 oz with lens, battery and card, and is small enough to fit into a pouch made for (large) compact cameras and hang from my harness.

I can see the argument for staying within the Fuji system if you are already used to that and have lenses, accessories, etc. However, if you don't mind jumping systems, then I can recommend looking at this one.

OP Robert Durran 11 Sep 2023
In reply to ChrisJD:

> 'I added a cheapish 2nd hand (£130) 15-45mm (Fuji XC) kit zoom lens to my Fuji set up; the thing is tiny and great for travelling.  Makes the XT-3 footprint not 'that' much bigger than my X100.'

> 'It's a little cracker for size & cost and it's got image stabilisation to boot; was really pleasantly surprised how good the kit lens turned out to be for travelling.'

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the XC 15-45. It seems to get great reviews. It is described as a "power zoom" but am I right in thinking it can be zoomed by hand just like any other lens? I have an old X-T10 body, so it might pair really well with this (total weight the same as my X-T2 body). Could be a great cheap option with Fuji familiarity and image quality.

In reply to rif:

> Like you I insist on a viewfinder and for years have used a Fuji X20, which I think has the same lens and sensor as the X30. It's great to handle and fairly small to carry. If you want to see the image quality and resolution, pm me and I can send a few jpegs for you to inspect.

Apart from sensor size it sounds great. I'd love to see a few photos and shall message you.

In reply to Paul Evans:

> Looked at an LX100 but eventually went for a Sony RX100m3. Would recommend getting an accessory grip, otherwise a bit "bar of soap-y". Had it for 7 years now and it's been fab. 

Thanks. I've had three RX100 and have killed them all! The latest was a Mk3. For me a great camera as a point and shoot when climbing, but I'm looking for something with more tactile controls and zoom for going light when not actually climbing.

In reply to alex_th:

> I have recently changed to a Panasonic GM5 with the small 12-32 mm zoom for use on multi-pitch routes.

Thanks, Sounds interesting and I'll look into it. A big sensor for such a small camera!

ChrisJD 11 Sep 2023

> XC 15-45: It is described as a "power zoom" but am I right in thinking it can be zoomed by hand just like any other lens?

You can use manually; the power zoom is not that bad to use though.

>I have an old X-T10 body, so it might pair really well with this (total weight the same as my X-T2 body). Could be a great cheap option with Fuji familiarity and image quality.

Sounds like a perfect solution to me, if you can cope with the X-T10 body size.

WEX have a few 2nd hand in £130-150 range; I got mine from Harrisons; none in stock 2nd-hand  atm.

ChrisJD 11 Sep 2023
In reply to alex_th:

The GM-5 looks sweet-as; nice.

No longer available new though; from 2015 ish?

Post edited at 22:10
 65 11 Sep 2023

Have you considered a Fuji X-E4? They are quite wee and you'd get to use all your lenses. Not weather sealed though.

In reply to 65:

> Have you considered a Fuji X-E4? They are quite wee and you'd get to use all your lenses. Not weather sealed though.

Given that I have the X-T10 body, I' don't think it would be worth the cost for the sight saving in size.

In reply to ChrisJD:

> The GM-5 looks sweet-as; nice.

Yes, looks like it might be the perfect climbing camera for me. Since my last Rx100 died I've been making do with the Tg-6 I got for kayaking and the image quality is rubbish in comparison!

ChrisJD 11 Sep 2023

Finding a GM5 might be a challenge though 

65 11 Sep 2023

True, and the X-E4 isn't cheap.

Myfyr Tomos 12 Sep 2023

Hi Robert. I have an LX100 Mk1 from 2015 and it is a wonderful camera to use. Rings, dials and most importantly for me, a decent viewfinder. It's pretty robust, having been drowned and dropped a couple of times and although a bit scratched and bashed, still works brilliantly. But... dust is the problem. It is manageable with spot removal when editing, but is getting worse. I've tried various methods of cleaning as suggested on the internet but all they seem to do is move the dust around! If you're happy to do more editing, then I'm sure you'd love an LX100.

galpinos 12 Sep 2023

My photography is not up to yours Rob but these were all taken with the 15-45 on my X-T1:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CevBKtnjKM2/?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtbOi1At0CS/?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxDHKLGtpgb/?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

15mm on APSC (23mm equiv) is actually quite wide and I’ve not missed the longer length that much. The f5.6 at the long end unfortunately means you can’t always get the separation and blur one might want but not but generally not an issue.

OP Robert Durran 12 Sep 2023
In reply to galpinos:

Thanks. Those look great. I'm definitely tending towards trying the 15-45 on my X-T10 body. Very manageable weight and size.

ChrisJD 11 Oct 2023

> definitely tending towards trying the 15-45 on my X-T10 body. Very manageable weight and size.

What did you go for in the end Robert?

OP Robert Durran 11 Oct 2023
In reply to ChrisJD:

I got the XF 15-45. Incredibly light combination with the X-T10. Used it in anger for the first time the last two days climbing Mt Taygetos in Greece when the amount of water I needed to carry needed weight savings elsewhere.

Happy with it I think, except I don't see the point of the motorised "power zoom" which just makes it fiddly to zoom (though not as bad as those lever things on compacts). Does it somehow make it more compact? Presumably uses up more battery.

ChrisJD 11 Oct 2023

That's great to hear; I think it's a little cracker of a lens, even with the irritating power zoom function.

Not sure whether the power zoom is a necessity of the design or an added 'feature' of the lens.

Though you can use the outer ring to zoom manually, so it must be an added lens 'feature'?

OP Robert Durran 11 Oct 2023
In reply to ChrisJD:

> Though you can use the outer ring to zoom manually, so it must be an added lens 'feature'?

I hadn't realised that, though it only seems to work on later cameras unfortunately (works on my X-T2 but not X-T10). As far as I can tell there is not a firmware update for it, but I'll check.

ChrisJD 11 Oct 2023

> only seems to work on later cameras unfortunately: works on my X-T2 but not X-T10

That's odd !

HeMa 12 Oct 2023

Good on ya... I believe you'll be happy with the Fuji and I expect to see some more stunning photos from ya.

I was actually about to comment here in regards to the Pany GM5. But only saw this thread after you mentioned that you already acquired the Fuji. Anyway, the GM5 with a pancake lens is certainly a compact one. But I was newer all that happy with the picture quality from it. It was sharp, yeah.. but the colors seemed to be really washed out. I like that when I'm shooting videos (on my Gh4r or Gh5) as I need to edit it all anyway (and color grading goes to that as well). But when shooting pics, I prefer things to be "ready" from the camera. I recall you've also mentioned something in the same line, or atleast commented that you don't do much in post when you shoot with a Fuji.

An additional note is, that we also have a Olympus MFT range-fiinder/pen camera, and it seems to produce much nicer photos straight from the camera... The E-PL7 I think is roughly the same year as the GM5 I had.

Just my few cents.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...