olympus omd 5

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 20 Feb 2017
I am looking for a compact quality interchangeable lens camera to a) give to my wife as a Birthday present, b) acts a compact body for myself for climbing/mountaineering for a fast and light approach to photography, c)replace panasonic lumix lx7 as a carry around camera. d) acts a video camera for my daughter.
toughness, good video, weather proofing, decent lens selection reasonable second hand cost.
inclination is the olympus omd 5 any thoughts.
 mike123 20 Feb 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:
I appreciate that there insnt a full stop before the " any thoughts " , but mine are that a couple of years before we we re married I " gave " my wife a very Gucci black diamond ruc sac that was well ahead of the game in terms of design . I then started using for mtb and ski touring because it was better than anything I had . This about 15 years ago and she still remembers .
 Toerag 20 Feb 2017

Do you want new or secondhand? I have an original E-M5 and the newer E-M10 is better (apart from weathersealing). They are good cameras though. Video isn't supposed to be the best until you get to the E-M1mk2, but if you're shooting fairly static scenes you should be fine - the stabilisation rally helps on handheld stuff.
 John2 20 Feb 2017

I have and OMD 5 myself, and it's an excellent camera. If you want a small and light camera for mountaineering, the prime lenses are really good.
 planetmarshall 20 Feb 2017

I have an EM-10 and associated lenses. Examples here -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/planetmarshall/
 kathrync 20 Feb 2017

I have the EM10 mkII and it is fantastic. Played with the EM5 and didn't like the way it felt so much, decided the EM10 was worth the extra cost...
In reply to mike123:

> I appreciate that there insnt a full stop before the " any thoughts " , but mine are that a couple of years before we we re married I " gave " my wife a very Gucci black diamond ruc sac that was well ahead of the game in terms of design . I then started using for mtb and ski touring because it was better than anything I had . This about 15 years ago and she still remembers .

Yes i might have to rethink that part
In reply to Toerag:
I would be looking at second hand, the weather proofing would be important as the theory behind this would be to keep it easily to hand clipped to rucksack:harness and to shoot bad weather mountaineering shots. Also it would be playing second fiddle to my Nikon system so going to dip my toes first for a minimal outlay :/)
 mike123 21 Feb 2017
Did you get anywhere looking for secondhand ?im Intrested in your thoughts on prices . I'm just having a look and it really is for my wife .
In reply to mike123:

Im seeing the Mk I on eBay for about £260 boxed and clean body only, depends which lens you want.
some info on herehttp://thewirecutter.com/reviews/first-micro-four-thirds-lenses-you-should-...
 The Lemming 21 Feb 2017

I have the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 lens mentioned in the website you gave. In fact that very website helped me decide to skip purchasing a kit lens with my first mirrorless camera, and invest my money in this lens.

If funds will allow then this lens will tick two boxes for you, the first being weather-sealed when fitted to a weather-sealed camera and the second is that it is a sharp as sharp can be. I don't have much to compare my lens to apart from the kit lenses and sigma lenses for my nikon camera and this lens blows them all away in image quality and speed of focus.

The lens is probably the only lens you will ever need for taking videos as well.

I may have average images but at least they are pin-sharp.
In reply to The Lemming:
Yes that was my thinking, and the 9-18 and a 17mm :-/
Post edited at 20:27
 malk 22 Feb 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

the olympus 12-40 2.8 would make more sense (and is a better lens in almost every way
 malk 23 Feb 2017
my used e-m5 body, new 12-50 and used 40-150 lenses cost ~£370 total. maybe not quite as sharp as the pro lenses but great value..

Got an em-5 body for £195 got to find a lens now choices choices
 Dark-Cloud 23 Feb 2017

I can recommend the Olympus 25mm f1.8, love mine, the cheap 40-150mm f4/5.8 has decent bang for the bucks, don't think either is weather sealed though
In reply to Dark-Cloud: I was thinking of the 17mm as a back to basics walk around lens

Dark-Cloud 23 Feb 2017

Yeah the, 45 Oly is good value too, I really like the feel and look of the primes, suppose it depends on what you like shooting, have a look at the Panasonic 20mm, gets good press and is small too.
 mike123 24 Feb 2017
I gave up the search yesterday and ordered her a new omd 10 ii with a kit lens, ordered it from London camera exchange who were great, I couldn't get anybody to discount the price but Lce threw in a half price memory card . my plan is to eventually get myself a 5 body and we can "share" lenses . I did nt try that hard, but couldn't see much in the way of 2nd hand lenses .

John2 24 Feb 2017

The 17mm would be a great first lens, giving you a really small camera that would fit in a pocket.

I have a the 17mm prime on my Olympus pen EPL-5 and never take it off. I love it, especially when other people are taking photos with it and ask how to zoom in. "Walk closer."
 Toerag 24 Feb 2017
In reply to John2:

Which 17 though? I have the f1.8 and with the metal lens hood it's not very pocketable. Takes great photos though, and is much better focusing-wise than the Panasonic 20 (which is an otherwise fantastic lens).
In reply to Toerag:

I was thinking the 1.7
But I have seen there is also a Panasonic 15mm that would be a good walk around lens
 malk 25 Feb 2017

the tiny 14mm/2.8 would make it walk around and pocketable..
there are CA issues using panasonic lenses on oly bodies?
 Dark-Cloud 25 Feb 2017
In reply to malk:

Can't imagine so ?

Camera arrived, so small and dinky but solid, thoughts on lenses at the moment,
9-18mm Olympus zoom as a mountain/climbing lens
15mm Panasonic 1.7 classic walk around lens (should still fit in a jacket pocket/man bag
45mm Olympus to work with the other two lenses maybe kept in a jacket pocket

I have also considered the 12-40 2.8, but I want to use this differently to my big system and want to keep it small
(Apart from the viewfinder it's the same size as my Panasonic lx 7)
Any thoughts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...