GoPro Hero5 / Sessions - focus query

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 28 May 2017
I've been looking recently at the Hero5 camera in its two guises but was wondering if there's any focus control on the one with the screen. I love the concept, size and simplicity of the Sessions model, but if the screen version had control over focus I could be tempted to splash out the extra for it.

Does anyone on UKC have either model and if so, could you give me your thoughts on it - good or bad - cheers.
 StefanB 28 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

There is no focus control, but exposure control. I.e. you can use the screen to tell the camera which area should be properly exposed.
OP Fraser 28 May 2017
In reply to StefanB:

Thanks for clarifying. I suppose that makes more sense as, thinking about it, all the GoPro footage I've seen has been in focus across the full screen, so exposure control is probably more important. How do you find the camera generally, is there anything about it you'd like improved or done differently?
 StefanB 28 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

> How do you find the camera generally, is there anything about it you'd like improved or done differently?

I think it's great. I had a Hero 4 Silver before that, but got the Hero 5 because I liked the idea of using it in the water without a case. The only thing I get confused about is the menu system. It's massively improved from the Hero 4, but I it still does not feel consistent. I keep forgetting which way to swipe and some of the options are useless.

I also have a session (the old model) and like the form factor, but it's harder to configure.
OP Fraser 29 May 2017
In reply to StefanB:

Thanks for that. I do like the super compact size of the Session, but the Black isn't that much larger/heavier and does have the advantage of the touch screen, more shooting options (resolution & fps etc) and so on.

I thought for a moment I'd seen Jessops advertising the Session for £149 and was sorely tempted but have just noticed it's for the Hero4 Session model, not the 5.
 StefanB 29 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

> I thought for a moment I'd seen Jessops advertising the Session for £149 and was sorely tempted but have just noticed it's for the Hero4 Session model, not the 5.

Yes, careful with this. The old Session has inferior image quality. Even at the same resolution and fps, the colour seem way flatter compared to the Hero 4 Silver and the Hero 5 I have tried.
In reply to Fraser:

The 4K of the 5 really is impressive. I didn't think I'd use it much, but after putting some test footage on YouTube and streaming it to my 4K TV it's just amazing. It's the different between watching a video and feeling like you're there. The camera isn't so great in low light, but it's not an SLR so you have to expect that.
OP Fraser 29 May 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Unfortunately I don't have anything at home or work on which to view 4K recordings, but the 1080p I've seen from the 4 and 5 Silver/Black/Session makes me think it's probably worth the extra cost for the 5 Black. There are quite a few alternative 4k action cams out there, but the reviews I've seen suggest the sound on the cheaper ones is generally very poor.
 StefanB 29 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

> Unfortunately I don't have anything at home or work on which to view 4K recordings,

The advantage of recording in 4K for me is not the ability to reproduce in 4K. It's a big advantage to be able to crop without losing quality.

OP Fraser 29 May 2017
In reply to StefanB:

Good point. That, and the better slo-mo options/fps on the Black, or any other similarly spec'd camera.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...