Best helmet camera/video camera for Alps....?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bencollins 09 Aug 2009
Ok, I'm looking for the best system so I can make a short film whilst climbing in the alps - ultimately just to show family/mates etc. not for any commercial purposes! The criteria that I would envisage being key are, though not in any particularly order:

Durability
Ease of operation with gloved hands
Battery life
Video quality

Any suggestions? What if my budget was £150 - £200 max all up?

What about the best system say for around £600? How much better is the quality etc.?
grindelwald 09 Aug 2009
In reply to bencollins:
I don't know sorry, but would be very interested to see what others think as am looking for one myself
In reply to bencollins:

I was thinking of getting this one for mountain biking .. goes for about £150-180

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=1
In reply to bencollins:

Probably can get a decent HD bullet cam for £300 - one I was looking at for £600 is here http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/VIO_POV.1.5.html which looks pretty good but out of my price range!
bencollins 09 Aug 2009
In reply to Neil Kazimierz Sheridan: It's on Amazon for £188 (http://tinyurl.com/m8el6m) but gets some good/some bad reviews, although not many to go on. Certainly looks like a good contender for an all in one unit that's not too pricy and the videos on the site link you posted seem to show high enough quality.
bencollins 09 Aug 2009
In reply to Neil Kazimierz Sheridan: thanks for the link to that site, seems to have a multitude of camera systems for action sports. The VIO POV 1.5 does look like the business but isn't cheap, particularly when you include the mounting kit etc. (nothing a bit of gaffer tape couldn't do though...)
In reply to bencollins:

I've heard that you get no 'heads up' when it's running out of space which could be really annoying if you miss recording a good bit 'cause of it!

It does seem pretty good for under £200 though! Not sure you're going to get much better for the price.. Still deciding myself.. Little put off by the size and the fact it's going to make you look a bit silly (big camera stuck on head!) compared to a tiny bullet cam..
In reply to bencollins:

whatever you do don't buy this camera suction mount off them.. http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/Panavise_Suction_Mount.html

It is far too heavy for a helmet whatever the site says! I've got one and it was a waste of money
bencollins 09 Aug 2009
In reply to Neil Kazimierz Sheridan: yes, it does look "chunky" and I guess could more easily be knocked about than a small bullet style camera mounted on the side of the helmet. The running out of space issue is also a concern. I'm just wary of spending £180 to find the results quite disappointing when I get home and then not really ever using it again....

Also I'd imagine the ones with separate battery/recording units can be kept somewhere warm (say inside the jacket) which would considerably lengthen battery life in cold conditions.
In reply to bencollins:

Yeah, that's true esp since you're using it in the Alps! - tbh I'd probably go for a bullet cam in that case. Be a bit shitty if you had to keep changing batteries all day!
Jason123 09 Aug 2009
In reply to bencollins:

Has anyone seen this, the VOX feature could be useful, and £64.99, scroll down watch the vid, actual footage after 3.50

http://www.rvops.co.uk/electronics-80/veho-uk-117/muvi-micro-dv-camcorder-2...
MaxWilliam 09 Aug 2009
In reply to bencollins:

I've done a lot of bullet cam filming for skiing (goggle) and sailing (masthead or pushpit).

There are two-ways to go on this. All-in-one memory card/hard-drive type solutions like mentioned in above links or separate "AV input" bullet cams. The latter require a video recorder/camcorder with an AV input (which is difficult to get now because of anti-piracy, sadly).

I use a Sony bullet cam from http://www.sports-camera.com/ and a Canon mini-dv recorder, plus a LANC controller from http://www .keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/keene-lanc-remote-control/KLR.html. If you go this route definitely seek a camcorder with a LANC control (only Canon or Sony).

Ignore the rubbish about 'DVD quality'. The important thing is the resolution or TV lines output of the camera. Aim for 530 TV lines as a min. Also you're need the output in a format you can edit (sometimes more tricky with the compressed formats of the all-in-one solution).

The bullet cams have the advantage that lenses are very very cheap (a few pounds), it is often useful to have a very wide angle lens.

Alex3546 10 Aug 2009
In reply to bencollins:

Have you considered the GoPro Helmet Hero Wide - http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/GoPro_Helmet_Hero_WIDE.html ? This would be ideal for what you are looking for and is within your budget at £189.99.
 Chris F 10 Aug 2009
In reply to Alex3546:
> (In reply to bencollins)
>
> Have you considered the GoPro Helmet Hero Wide - http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/GoPro_Helmet_Hero_WIDE.html ? This would be ideal for what you are looking for and is within your budget at £189.99.

The colonel recommended this already. I have one that I have used for snowboarding and surfing, and I love it. Rugged and durable and easy to use. Just don't bother with any batteries other than lithiums.

Quality is not the best though, here is a clip I made to give you some idea vimeo.com/5559882

bencollins 10 Aug 2009
In reply to Jason123: Jason123 - couldn't get the video to work? Great price and size but I'd be suspicious of the build and film quality at that price...
bencollins 10 Aug 2009
In reply to Chris F: Cool video, nice work! Quality looks better than I expected but I wonder how it would cope with high contrast conditions in mountains. How long do the batteries last on average? How chunky is it? - it looks a bit like a fat digital point and click camera?
bencollins 10 Aug 2009
In reply to MaxWilliam: Thanks for an alternative viewpoint. This bullet cam + video recorder was the route I initially was thinking of but couldn't find video cams that had "AV inputs". Which particular model of Canon video camera do you have? Do you carry several bullet cam lenses and interchange then? How durable/weather resistant do you find such a system?
 jaswa 11 Aug 2009
In reply to bencollins:
> (In reply to MaxWilliam) Thanks for an alternative viewpoint. This bullet cam + video recorder was the route I initially was thinking of but couldn't find video cams that had "AV inputs". Which particular model of Canon video camera do you have? Do you carry several bullet cam lenses and interchange then? How durable/weather resistant do you find such a system?

I use pretty much the exact same setup as MaxWilliam.

A few things to consider.

1) Camcorder: The cheaper end of the MiniDV camcorders tend not to have AV in. Mine (I forget the model and can't check as i'm in work) is a Sony and was around the £700 mark (About 4 years ago). I understand that the reason the cheaper ones don't have the AV input enabled is to do with licencing issues regarding the algorithms used. A bit like Codecs on a pc. The manufacturer have to pay x amount for the DV output software, and y amount extra if they want to DV input software built into the camrea. I believe (but have no first hand experience) that many cameras without AV input enabled can be 'chipped/hacked' to enable it. pehaps have a hunt round google to see what you come up with. the cameras use the exact same plug and socket for AV input and AV output so don't worry if you can't see a physical AV input socket.

2) For almost all my shooting with the helmet cam i use a 2.9mm lens. I don't have much footage shot using in online but there is a low resoultion video shot using it that i put on youtube here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaswauk#play/uploads/5/YY6sTAKxiGk

3) The head cam Maxwilliam mentioned is fine outdoors. It actually warms up in use which stops condensation forming on the lens and is fitted with rubber seals etc. I've used it in pouring rain and is snow - no problems at all. The reset of the gear, the Camcorder and batterypack, I keep in a plastic lunch box - I cut a small nick in the top corner of the box so that when the lid is fitted there is a small hole left for the cables to come out. This makes it fairly rain proof and gives the gear some physical protection from knocks and bangs. This then goes in my backpack, rucksack etc depending what i'm doing. If it a nice sunny day then rather than going in a back pack i have operating with battery pack in one pocket and camera in the opposite pocket. you'll want/need an external microphone (the kit max linked to includes one i think). If i'm wearing a helmet i normally mount the mic inside it which keeps it out of the direct wind but makes it pick up your voice nicely. The cable routes up with the cable from the camera - a few wraps of black tape nake it all 'as one'.

4) Mounting wise, if i'm on my bike it gets cable tied to the vents on the top centre of my helmet (as per youtube video). my helmets profile lends itself to this nicely. For skiing i have drilled a small hole in the ear muff part of the helmet (doesn't form part of the actual helmet shell itself) and attached a 22mm plastic pipe clip. The camera is just a bit too thin to grip this firmly but i've got a couple of mm of black tape wound round the body that makes it fit nicely. For climbing I have an old climbing helmet that I drilled a 3mm hole in and fitted a 22mm pipe clip with small nut and bolt. Not ideal drilling a hole in climbing helmet as it will greatly weaken it. But better than no helmet at all - make your own choice on this one.

I've even had it taped to the side arm of a pair of oakleys before now.

Battery life. Probably the coldest extended conditions i've used mine in has been during skiing trips. I can happily take it out and use it all day. My lanc remote is slightly different to the one max mentioned. It has a physical toggle switch rather than push buttons. One flick of the switch makes the cam-corder turn itself on, and start recording from external video source, flick the switch the other way it stops the camera and turns it off again. The time between flicking that switch and actual recording starting is less than about a second. I replaced the switch with a double pole unit, using the second pole to switch the power on and off to the camera and microphone from their own battery. You could just as easily use a totally seperate switch to do this job or just leave the camera and microphone turned on all the time. With the camera and microphone turned on all the time, using a battery pack with 5x AA size rechargable battries you will get about 4 hours use in very cold temperatures. Probably a more like 6 or 7 hours in more 'normal' temps.
The way I am set up With a full camcorder charge and a full battery pack charge for the head cam/mic I can easily fill three to four 60 min DV tapes over the course of a 12 hour day - thats with switching the power on and off to the camera as mentioned.

Hope this is of some use!
 Chris F 11 Aug 2009
In reply to bencollins:
> (In reply to Chris F) Cool video, nice work! Quality looks better than I expected but I wonder how it would cope with high contrast conditions in mountains. How long do the batteries last on average? How chunky is it? - it looks a bit like a fat digital point and click camera?

Cheers. It copes well provided there is bright light, in dull conditions the quality is not so great. I have some snowboarding footage from Canada but not uploaded it yet. Battey life varies accoriding to temp, but I have used it in North Sea a few times, and normally get about an hour out of lithium batteries on continual use. It records 56 mins of footage onto a 2 GB SD card, or can shoot one still photo every 10 seconds, or be used as a normal p&s camera. it is tiny, smaller than most digi cameras, fits in the palm of my hand, so about 3" by 2" by 2" http://www.goprocamera.com/
gives you an idea of size.

Scomuir 11 Aug 2009
In reply to bencollins:
I've basically got the same camera as Chris. It's small & light, and for the money/size, picture quality is reasonable.

Only 2 problems I have had, is:
1. Leaving the batteries in when it's stuffed in a rucksac is not a good idea. I've found that the on button has been pressed, resulting in flat batteries by the time I want to use it!
2. In really cold conditions, the camera doesn't seem to cope. This is not related to batteries (although recommend lithiums anyway, as has been said). I've tried strapping it to my ski once, as an experiment, and the file was corrupted. It did get very cold, as there was a bit of powder. I used in in Svalbard earlier this year, when it was -15 deg C / -20 deg C or so, and none of the film clips came out - they were all corrupted. This was a bit disapointing, as one of the clips was me being pulled along behind a scooter on my skis. Nevermind.

I have used it skiing in this country without problem. The shaky filming is more to do with it being strapped to my helmet and me moving my head around too much:

youtube.com/watch?v=L9cxlMlTtf4&
youtube.com/watch?v=iDIasgLZobA&
youtube.com/watch?v=DlF8eYGgc3A&
youtube.com/watch?v=mmcRRiWwWCE&

grindelwald 11 Aug 2009
 Chris F 11 Aug 2009
In reply to grindelwald: UK prices are more or less the same as in most online stores. I got mine in Canada and waved a fair bit. I noticed a lot of UK shops put price up when dollar exchange rate got bad, but haven't reduced prices now it has improved.
 JXM 11 Aug 2009
In reply to bencollins:

I have got the VIO POV1.5 and I am pretty happy with it. I use it mainly for alpine and winter climbing. The camera is easy to mount on the helmet and it does not stick too far out. There is a remote control that can be operated with gloves without problems. The recorder beeps when the unit starts and stops recording but the beep can be difficult to hear in windy conditions and wearing a balaclava.

The wide angle lense is quite useful and it handles contrast well. The microphone needs to be pretty close to your mouth and sheltered from the wind in order to get a good result.
bencollins 12 Aug 2009
In reply to jaswa:
Thanks for all the info.

> 1) Camcorder: ..... the cameras use the exact same plug and socket for AV input and AV output so don't worry if you can't see a physical AV input socket.

That is interesting. I didn't know this, so guess that's why I wasn't finding many cameras with AV input... Any way I can tell which cameras would accept AV in though? Seems most vendors don't mention this in the descriptions. For example, this mid price Sony one on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/r7gmc9 ?

Thanks for the useful tips. It seems like you've worked out a pretty solid system. Undoubtedly, there is flexibility in having a "normal" video camera as well, just for filming landscapes/other scenes where you don't need the helmet mount option. Battery life also sounds impressive compared to the all-in-one systems too. Obviously this system is quite a bit more expensive though.
bencollins 12 Aug 2009
In reply to JXM:

Yes, this particular model looks excellent. What's it like for normal filming though? What I mean is: is it pratical to hold and try and use as a normal video camera? Obviously I'm most interested in filming from the helmet mount whilst climbing but would be useful to be able to film other stuff (like trekking/general life stuff) when you wouldn't have a helmet mount.

Where did you buy it from?

bencollins 12 Aug 2009
In reply to Scomuir:
Re: your video of Ski descent of B Gully, Beinn Bhrotain, Cairngorms - pretty mental!! looks 'effin steep, nice work.

Hmm, not liking the sound of corrupted files and flat batteries though, that has put me off somewhat
 jaswa 12 Aug 2009
In reply to bencollins: I had the same problem trying to find the model i wanted with video in.

The one u r looking at doesn't have video in as per:
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/sdh-minidv/dcr-hc37e#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

Trawl though sonys site looking at the specs until you find one that you think will suit.
 JXM 12 Aug 2009
In reply to bencollins:
> (In reply to JXM)
>
> Yes, this particular model looks excellent. What's it like for normal filming though? What I mean is: is it pratical to hold and try and use as a normal video camera?

When filming in off-helmet-mode I take the camera in one hand and the recorder in the other. There is a small monitor on the recorder so that you can see what you are doing. It works relatively well. Having said that I normally use the Canon G10 for normal filming. Note that you cannot zoom with the POV1.5 and it has a wide angle lense. This limits the use as a "normal" camera significantly.

>
> Where did you buy it from?

I bought mine from www.helmetcameracentral.com in the US.

Scomuir 17 Aug 2009
In reply to bencollins:
> (In reply to Scomuir)
> Re: your video of Ski descent of B Gully, Beinn Bhrotain, Cairngorms - pretty mental!! looks 'effin steep, nice work.

It's not that steep, even for a grade 1, but thanks
>
> Hmm, not liking the sound of corrupted files and flat batteries though, that has put me off somewhat

I think it was just too cold when I had a problem with corrupted files. Probably best to keep batteries out of it and in a pocket. It's what I do now, plus they are warm when you start to use them.

Chris F 17 Aug 2009
In reply to Scomuir: But my wetsuit doesn't have pockets
 Scomuir 17 Aug 2009
In reply to Chris F:
Planning to change the batteries while in the sea?
 Chris F 18 Aug 2009
In reply to Scomuir: Who said anything about the sea? I'm wearing it next time we go ski touring.
 Scomuir 18 Aug 2009
In reply to Chris F:
I think it would be funny to film that. You wouldn't be able to stop all day, as the wetsuit would freeze solid if you did, due to the sweat. Nice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...